cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swindon Free WiFi? is it a con

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Swindon Free WiFi? is it a con

didnt start of good for me,  Mag article gave the URL as digitalcity.org.uk, this took me to a docklands ilegal? reve set up, but Google did better and gave me this http://www.getsignal.co.uk/
they claim
Signal is a next generation wireless network provider with a difference. We are not just selling connectivity but many useful applications that will benefit whole communities. As part of our service we are offering limited free access to our networks.

but digging down ther pages of bovine excreta no datail of the free WiFi, which aparently is being funded by Swindon council to the tune of £1,000,000.  so does anyone know more
3 REPLIES 3
Ka2

Re: Swindon Free WiFi? is it a con

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I wonder what that will do to the likesof PN?
the Signal site is dire to the extreme, i.e. what is the cost?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

There was something on our local news (ITV Meridian News)  about this.... it seems that basically the company are setting up the wifi service, so that companies, (who will have to pay a premium, I think)  and in particular the council, mobile operatives can access the internet whilst out on a job, to get relevant information off their "main" computer system... e.g.,  a building inspector needs to check someone`s files to see if they agree with what is going on at the site.....  or perhaps social service operative needs to check on someone`s previous history... the general public will only have a couple of hours a day, (specified by the wifi company) which is actually free.... if they want to surf any more than that, they will have to pay up to the wifi company. !  Undecided
(if I recall the news item correctly.... it was on the day they announced it)