cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious Laptop/Notebook??

bubbalicious
Grafter

Suspicious Laptop/Notebook??

Is there any lovely computer person who would mind lending me their knowledge please??  I bought a Toshiba Satellite A200 - 1Ai, with Vista Home Premium in June this year, but it has just come back from the engineers having to had a new keyboard, new DVD drive, New Touchpad and new Touchpad Cover! Firstly doesn't that seem an awful lot of faulty parts for a 6month old machine that cost me £800 that according to reviews is a pretty good model? Secondly looking at the Device Drivers the DVD drive has gone from a Teac DVD SUPER MULTI (+_ Double Layer) DV-W28EC to a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N ATA Device - is it just me or is a 'dvd super multi' better than a DVDram'? Huh It has to go back to them anyway because they have managed to mess it up and now I have a big bulge in the area next to the keyboard and there is a gap at the very front where they obvioulsy haven't put it back together again properly, but I feel a little disappointed and wondered if anyone could give me any expert opinions to whether so much should be going wrong so soon and whether they have sent it back to me with parts not as good as the originals?  Shocked
Another thing is that according to Toshiba my notebooks serial number had already been registered to someone else and more concerning is that when I was adding all my bits to it as 'new' one of the 'sign in screens' that I think appeared when I was configuring my wireless router and was to do with signing on to the server had someones name in and that name matches what Toshiba told me the name, email and phone number was registered to?!  I can't help but wonder if I have been sold a 'already used' machine, or one that has too many problems so soon on, but don't know enough about these things to feel confident in approaching them about it- (a very large PC Shop)  I guess all in all I'm asking if all this seems a bit suspicious to anyone else or should I just ignore all these things!  Thanks to anyone who can help a poor damsel in distress, and confusion!!!  Roll_eyes
85 REPLIES 85
Not applicable

Re: Suspicious Laptop/Notebook??

Was it from PC World by any chance?
bubbalicious
Grafter

James, How did you guess???
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd say it was the horror story of a laptop repair gone wrong. From that it's easy to put two and two together... wait, that was a rhetorical question, wasn't it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Take it back to Trading Standards, Not PC World, they are always at it, then claiming, a member of staff must have put it back
Not applicable

Just sounded a lot like them.
I know its not really constructive or helpful - I just wondered!
I believe they might have some sort of policy whereby if you have a certain number of problems with x period, they exchange your machine for a new one.
I wonder if this is a machine that had previously been returned, and subsequently been rebuilt.
Could be wrong, but it certainly sounds like it.
It would be pretty difficult to prove, without having some sort of record of the specific machine you bought.
For example, the original box may have a barcode label, with the serial number referenced on it.
If you got some sort of a warranty/insurance with the machine, there may have been a record of the serial number too.
If you can find a serial number, compare it with the one on the bottom of the machine you have now.
If it doesn't tally, they've done a swap-job methinks.
My personal opinion of PC World is *very* low, and if anything looks slightly suspect, I'd be girding myself (so to speak) ready for a chat with the manager.

Do you have insurance/extended cover via PCWorld at all?
If so, put a pen above the keyboard, ram the cover down, then take it back to them.
Its cheaper for them to replace the entire thing with a new one than it is for them to replace the screen - don't waste your breath arguing the toss, just force them to give you a new one!
bubbalicious
Grafter

Thanks Guys, for giving me the confidence to know what I am talking about (well kind of?!) and not just being paranoid and picky!
James, I have still got the original packaging and both serial numbers match, so I can see it'll be difficult to prove whether it was new to begin with!  I do have the 'whatever happens' policy with Pc World/Tech Guys and they have 2 weeks from the date I report any problem to repair it. They collected it on 03/01 it came back today and I am sure with it needing to go back to repair their damage the 3 week rule will apply!  But then wouldn't it be a tragedy if i woke up in the morning and during the night my Dog will have somehow knocked it off the table and it will be smashed ;)?  It's such a shame that they can't just offer a good honest service in the first place, but I think I've learnt my lesson.
Anyway guys, you have been wonderful for taking your time to help me, it is scary when you don't have a wonderful PC knowledge to be confident in what to expect and what not to from them and their machines, you have really helped!
Cheers, sally Cheesy Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sally it must be second hand if it has somebody else's data on it -  Angry Don't take it back to PC World  Angry report it to Trading Standards
bubbalicious
Grafter

Pierre, I know you are right, and the more I think about it the madder  Embarrassed it makes me that they have taken me for being such a mug and seem to be getting away with it! 
So yes I will,
Thanks for being so helpful  Cheesy
sally
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Sad
So sad to hear about your "new" laptop.
Two things that shopkeepers fear most..... one..... the words " not of merchantable quality"    two...... "not fit for purpose"
With these two things in mind, I would strongly advise the course already offered..... A visit to trading standards office... Take with you Every Bit  Of Paperwork you have, including the box, receipt, records of return to shop, any leaflets with the specification, If you can`t get them from the shop, try to get someone to download them from the net and print them out..... you can get  Trading Standards to check that out with what you have now got fitted inside.  you could even run up a nice little story about what was said when you returned it to them, and what they said when they gave it back. 
Give Trading Standards as much ammunition as you can.... it will all help you get your complaint sorted....
Best of Luck.....
shutter
Community Veteran

Hello again,
I forgot to mention that  whatever you buy  you are covered by the "sale of goods act" and shop managers/owners don`t like it when you know (or appear to know) more about it than they do. ! ! Wink
You might like to investigate this link http://www3.dti.gov.uk/consumers/buying-selling/sale-supply/sale-of-good-act/page8600.html
to see how you stand
There are a lot of useful things to click on, on the left side menu....
these two cut and pastes should help....

Supply of Goods and Services Act
The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 requires traders to provide services to a proper standard of workmanship. Furthermore, if a definite completion date or a price has not been fixed then the work must be completed within a reasonable time and for a reasonable charge.
Also, any material used or goods supplied in providing the service must be of satisfactory quality.
The law treats failure to meet these obligations as breach of contract and consumers would be entitled to seek redress, if necessary through the civil courts.
Our Quick Facts page and our Guide for Traders offers further information and advice.

and another one
Sale of Goods Act
Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 traders must sell goods that are as described and of satisfactory quality.
If consumers discover that products do not meet these requirements they can reject them and ask for their money back providing they do so quickly. Alternatively, they can request a repair or replacement or claim compensation.
The Sale of Goods Act has been amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 which transpose a European Directive. Although the impact of the Regulations is relatively modest there are some useful benefits for consumers.

Hope that helps ...

shutter
Community Veteran

Further reading on Sale of goods pages.....
Look at the menu on the right hand side for  "related links"

Read all the "Key Facts"....  Shocked
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Shutter, thanks for that. I know it's not my laptop, but I've bookmarked that link - that's invaluable knowledge. Many thanks again.
bubbalicious
Grafter

WOW, Shutter, thanks so much for all that help, and for kindly including the link, I am just off to print all that I think will help me understand where i stand and what i need to do!  I am sure given what you say and others seem to have the same opinion that PC World haven't provided me with what I bought, and I have a feeling given my contact with them so far they aren't that bothered about it!!
I do indeed have all the paperwork, boxes, bags even cable ties.  I have printed specification from when I was choosing a model and a print off of the hardware installed before they replaced what they have.  ihave checked the toshiba website and that has all the Model Specs, so will print that off to take with me! I have kept track of all contacts with them and names of whom I have spoken to, what they said etc so I think I have much of what I need to and will put together something to bring it all together!  Hopefully that will get things rolling?
I feel so ignorant I spent a lot of time looking at Notebooks to see which was the best for what I wanted, i never really thought checking out a huge retailer, being a previous Dixons Customer I presumed they would be the same, boy I've learnt my lesson on that one! 
I really like Toshiba Notebooks, I just hope that it is the retailer not the manufacturer!
Again, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH,  i really would be very unsure where I stand and exactly what I can do about it, I always find when I have problems they throw all this info at me that makes me feel I should be grateful to them!  A conversation with a 'PC World Customer adviser' told me, "you should feel fortunate you get a manufacturers warantee with us otherwise it would cost you a fortune to get it repaired" when I questioned why such a new model should need so many new parts, and I guess that sums them up!  Those of us who buy from PC World should feel blessed we were allowed to!!
I have some nice bedtime reading to do..
Thanks, sally

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Happy sleeping Sally.
Dont worry Toshiba is a good choice.
DSG Group is not, Dixons, Curry Electrical and PC World have all been done for passing off secondhand goods as new
One PC Magazine even has a watchdog page with a permanent link to report DSG Malpractices