Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Protector plug

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Surge Protector plug

I have a problem, that "i think" is caused by a "surge" when I switch on /off my desk lamp.

Scenario.... I have a large "office" type desk, with my radio equipment in two shelf spaces on the left. my morse keys in three shelf spaces on the right... the laptop, is between these two, and a "bridge" piece across the top, between the two sides, supports a small flat screen t.v. and the desk lamp.

When I am using my morse key(s) to send morse over the internet, it is connected via a USB to Serial Port adapter cable, and uses a third party program to code and decode the morse.

When I need to see the keyboard, (as it is in a "darkish area" ) for typing on ( as in searching on the net for whatever) or to write a comment on the forum, etc) .. I switch the desk lamp on... and that causes (I think) a spike, somewhere... that "chokes" the morse program, meaning I have to shut it down, disconnect the usb cable, and then reconnect it, then start up the morse program do a couple of settings and then I can carry on... (usually takes less than a minute,.... but is really inconvenient, when talking to someone ! )

All the power for the "operations desk" as I call it,.... is taken from a "normal" 13 amp wall socket.

and fed via a extension cable, to two 4 outlet socket bars, screwed to the back of the desk..

My "techy" question is....should I use a single "surge protector" plug on the desk lamp. 

a power plug extender.png

or do I need to use it on the mains socket, (i.e. before it gets to the lamp plug)  or do you suggest using 2x 4 outlets surge protector sockets on the extension cable, at the back of the desk... replacing the existing one`s.

Interestingly, this has only become "obvious" in recent times...  I cannot remember it happening when I first set up the desk a few years ago... also.. I thought it may have been when I changed over to L.E.D. bulb in the desk light... but I checked, and when putting in an "ordinary" incandescent bulb, it also happened.

6 REPLIES 6
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Surge Protector plug

I can't see a desk lamp, especially an LED type, causing a 'surge'. What's the power - 4 or 5 watts?

Could it be a 'sparky' switch on the desk lamp? Is there another desk lamp in the house you could try?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
shutter
Community Veteran

@198kHz  Fair point !... will have a looksee, and maybe I can re-route the wiring, so the plug actually comes to a socket on the desktop frontage...

Thanks.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Unless they've changed recently the E-ON plug doesn't have a surge protector in it, certainly mine doesn't and looks exactly the same.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

@dvorak  Thanks for your input...

@198kHz  After reading your suggestion, I have "destroyed" the rocker switch that was on the lamp.... the contact inside was somewhat "black"... but I `m not convinced that it was the problem... as I soldered the wires together...(yeah... brown to brown... blue to blue ! ! !) .. insulated them and then re-routed the plug to another switched socket on the desktop front...  initially, it did not choke the prog... until after 3 switch ops.     having some thoughts, about where the wiring was routed... I noted that the "mains" input cable, crossed over the "unit" on the USB to serial converter.... so I re-positioned all wiring clear of the mains input cable, and it now seems to be clear of any interference, as I have used the mains switch on the desktop frontage several times without a "choking" of the program...

So... to both of you ... "Thanks for saving me ten quid ! "

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@shutter wrote:

So... to both of you ... "Thanks for saving me ten quid ! "

Easy seeing you're a Yorkshire Man.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41