cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surf Monitoring

win7xp
Grafter

Surf Monitoring

I have a friend who runs a small business. He is out of the office most of the time and suspects that one of his staff is abusing their internet priveledges.
The staff member is savvy enough to clear history etc at the end of the day.
Does anyone know of any free discrete monitoring software that will monitor and report.

thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
itsme
Grafter

Re: Surf Monitoring

Will this be spying or blocking?
win7xp
Grafter

just spying at this moment in time
matt_2k34
Grafter

The *best* way is to lock down IE if this is possible so that the user is not able to eliminate their history (as easily) but obviously it depends how 'savvy' the user is.
Most 'Net Nanny' software would be able to do what you require i believe Smiley
What Operating system is the machine in question (im guessing XP) ? Smiley
scootie
Grafter

opendns log dns lookups which you can view from an account. i belive i did this a year ago. you would have to change you dns settings thoe but you can have the log files sent to you daily by email or just log into the dashboard
http://www.opendns.com/solutions/overview/
Insight and Reporting
Detailed Charts and Stats
DNS and Web traffic data about your network delivered in detailed charts and statistics in your OpenDNS account.
Daily Reports
Delivered to your inbox, email reports keep you updated about your network's top domains, blocked domains and more.
Archived Stats and Logs
Lets you compare data over time and spot trends, and refer back to historical traffic data.
WebDude
Grafter

I was aware of OpenDNS for general (free) DNS lookups without knowing all that they offered.  Thanks for the summary - I am about to try this on one PC for a test.  I'd like to have paid them $5 but their website doesn't make it clear that the $5/user/machine has a minimum spend of $25 (shame!)  I see the household fee is $9.95 but the logging of DNS lookups is not exactly something I need just something I wanted to try (and would have paid a small fee, mainly for a month's test rather than for serious use over a full year, IYSWIM).