Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for 3rd party router for fibre please

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Suggestions for 3rd party router for fibre please

I'm having interment "unresolved dns" issues with my Hub One ( I think it's a hub problem) so I'm looking for a replacement.

I was looking at the Archer V400 but judging form the posts on this forum there seems to be an issue with it (requiring a firmware upgrade to work).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent, reasonably priced router/hub that is easy to set up.

Thanks

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Re: Suggestions for 3rd party router for fibre please

It may well be a "router problem" but there is no guarantee that it is this particular router!  The problem with technical progress is that it seems to create more problems than it solves.

It might be that, as I found out in my case, that the network adapter does not like your router.

My suggestion would be to pick up a cheap but quality brand name router off Ebay and see it that makes a difference, It will not be this yer's model but almost certainly better than the PN one and you are not paying too much to try to find the answer.

paulgul
Rising Star

@TeeGee 

Thanks for the reply, I  don't understand what you mean by network adapter.

On my desktop, using Chome, I've solved the problem by using Google DNS servers, I haven't changed anything on my tablet and the problem persists so I assume the problem lies with the Plusnet DNS lookup built into the Hub One, which I'm not able to change.

Paul

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

You do seem to have narrowed down the problem. The network adapter is the wired connection to your router and it seems you are able to make changes to your Chrome PC but not to the tablet.

I still think that Ebay is the way to go but check the detailed specs first!

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @paulgul 

With regards to "I was looking at the Archer V400 but judging form the posts on this forum there seems to be an issue with it (requiring a firmware upgrade to work)."

This is no big deal, the firmware is readily available from TP-Link support, also the new firmware has been available for some time so the device might have already been flashed with the new firmware.

It can be also be updated using the system tools menu on the device

Current firmware is 1.3.0 0.9.1 v00a1.0 Build 201109 Rel.54507n for the VR400 V3.

Hope this helps

Dan. 

paulgul
Rising Star

@Dan_the_Van 

Thanks for the update. I'll take another look at the V400