cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions and help with buying a cover for my ipad

tgr
Grafter

Suggestions and help with buying a cover for my ipad

I am looking for a cover for my i pad.  I have looked at various ones on the net at apple store, amazon et al.  I am 71 and do not live near an apple store but have a son of 49 who is really up on apple products and lives close to the new apple store in London.  He has given me some advice and been to the store to have a look at what they have.  He says at the moment they all appear to have faults ie too heavy, far to expensive £80 in one case and suggests I wait until i c what becomes the best sold and most popular one which seems a good idea.  I would welcome feed back from anyone who has bought a cover or seen a good one on some one elses i pad.  I have seen some with stands built in (all just in pictures on the net)  They all appear to look good but what is the truth when you buy one.
Thanks for any help or advice.
Personal thought at a price of £429 surely they should have included a decent cover in the price.  If apple keeps it up they are going to go from the most loved it co to the most hated.  Just like Microsoft when they dominated the market apple is getting very greedy and is caring less what its customers think (remember the recent i phone fiasco).  Best not reply to this part apple might sue us all in a class action Kiss
10 REPLIES 10
Be3G
Grafter

Re: Suggestions and help with buying a cover for my ipad

I think that's a bit unfair, Apple have rarely ever included a case with portable gadgets so it's not as if they once weren't greedy and now are. Plus, any other company that bundles in a case with something always seems to include a case that's as cheap and horrible as possible so I'm not sure we're missing much.
As far as cases for the iPad go, I can't offer much advice as I don't actually use a case with mine. It might however be worth considering Apple's own case? It's not the best – I've heard it starts to look a bit grubby after a while – but it's practical and not too expensive as iDevice cases go. (Plus it's easy to source.)
For other ideas, you could try taking a look at Macworld UK's iPad accessory reviews here.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is slightly off topic, but this morning I saw this amusing "Bacon and egg iPhone case" http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/engineering-design-problems/2010/08/i-cant-believe-someone-ma...
Be3G
Grafter

In a similar vein, this surely can't be beat.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How about (after you have cut a slot out of the foam).  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

tgr
Grafter

After much research by my son he bought me the following i pad cover for my birthday. Snugg leather case cover and flip stand £29.99 from amazon there are more expensive ones but this fits the bill for me.  Below is what i told him about it as he lives in london and i am in north east.  I thought others may read this and also be looking for a cover I am not connect to either co  Cheesy
The cover is perfect and the magnets hold it in position when closed all inlets and outlets are cut out so you can get at them easily and it feels more comfortable when reading as it is not slippy like the i pad on its own.  The stand works well and easy to use and would be a good angle to type or watch films etc.  It is leather and looks quite posh. Altogether a nice piece of kit which i would definitely recommend.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now you have your iPad case, maybe you need the next essential accessory ? -
a "Steering Wheel Laptop Holder" http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/engineering-design-problems/2010/06/i-cant-believe-someone-ma...
If you want to buy one, they are available from Amazon !!! - http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-WM-01-Wheelmate-Steering-Wheel/dp/B000IZGIA8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I bought a Griffin Jumper Sleeve Case for mine, really happy with it.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: purleigh
Now you have your iPad case, maybe you need the next essential accessory ? -
a "Steering Wheel Laptop Holder" http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/engineering-design-problems/2010/06/i-cant-believe-someone-ma...

Product Features
    * Image May Vary - Please See Product Title for Actual Size and Color!
    * Please measure your steering wheel before ordering.
    * Your steering wheel must be 1¼ inches in diameter or less  Grin
    * Wheel Mate easily attaches to the steering wheel of your car
    * Ideal for your laptop computer, as a writing surface, or lunch tray

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=A Fox is Evil ]* Your steering wheel must be 1¼ inches in diameter or less  Grin
I think they meant the diameter of the steering wheel grip, rather than the diameter of the wheel itself !
Did you look at all the photos on the Amazon link ? http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-WM-01-Wheelmate-Steering-Wheel/dp/B000IZGIA8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
I like how it starts with product pictures, and ends in pictures of car crashes !
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

How about a carbon fibre iPad case?