Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Subtitles

Like a few others on the forum my hearing even when using hearing aids is not good.

Fortunately there is a subtitle option which I always use when watching live tv, the problem is anything recorded on the pvr does not have subtitles recorded with it.

It is a fairly old pvr, do the modern ones have a facility to record subtitles ?

I find watching foreign films on all4 is ideal as they all have subtitles.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Subtitles

Don`t know the answer to the question !  !   ... but ,.... I,  too, watch "forren fillums"   but on You Tube.... at present I am watching a Russian TV series, there are several short ( 4 episode ) series running ... I find them "intriguing" from the point of view of their "lifestyle" as opposed to the old fashioned perceived lifestyle of the old Russian USSR..  Interesting too, to note the up to date transport facilities, and all the different makes of "forren" motors  that they drive.. 

Here`s a couple to get you started...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr7m-vBAaQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA8_IsNXsog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KxbUYxWHWc

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

http://board.dailyflix.net/forum/145-foreign-tv-shows/ appears to contain links to quite a lot of downloadable programmes of reasonable quality with mostly decent English subtitles.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@gleneagles wrote:

Like a few others on the forum my hearing even when using hearing aids is not good.

Fortunately there is a subtitle option which I always use when watching live tv, the problem is anything recorded on the pvr does not have subtitles recorded with it.

It is a fairly old pvr, do the modern ones have a facility to record subtitles ?

is this live TV Freeview, Freesat, Sky or Cable?
as well as the box supporting it (which may be hit or miss), the broadcaster also has to support it.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Being able-hearing I can't begin to understand how it must be for deaf and hard of hearing when watching TV.

When watching foreign films I much prefer subtitles than dubbing. Reading the subtitle is no where near as annoying as noticing the lips not syncing to the words.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Hero

But at least you are able to interpret a few major foreign words, without subtitles.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Mav  Put some cotton wool in your ears... so you can still "hear" the "sound" of voices... but not make out the words as normal hearing... then switch on the telly, with the subtitles.... pre-recorded stuff usually has subtitles "In synch" ( as near as poss) to what the actors are saying on screen, and with a little practice, it becomes " second nature" to be able to read and follow a plot..   problems arise on the BBC in particular, when they do "Live" news and other shows, and the subtitles are produced by a voice recognition system.... some "interesting" versions of words can appear, and make it difficult to understand the person`s point of view, until you realise the mistake, by then, there may be a correction on screen that has nothing to do with the current speech....so it then pauses and you only get the first half of a sentence,  and a break, for sometimes up to a minute, where the person on screen continues talking, but no subtitles, and then a completely new subject is started in the subtitles, ... most annoying... even more annoying is knowing that the news reader or weather forecaster.,...has an "auto cue" and is reading the text... but we, the viewer, are not privy to this... we have to have the anomolies I just described.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

@chenks76 wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

is this live TV Freeview, Freesat, Sky or Cable?
as well as the box supporting it (which may be hit or miss), the broadcaster also has to support it.

Live TV Freeview, I couldn't afford the other options.

Smiley

We are born into history and history is born into us.
VileReynard
Hero

You can download foreign films, as that way you don't have to watch any adverts but still get English subtitles.

4OD & BBC4 are not the only sources on foreign films!