Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck with Mint

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Stuck with Mint

I have a spare computer so I thought why not give linux a try and have persevered for a month or so with Mint 10 which was OK . I'm now struggling to see the benefit over XP (i've got an XP licence so the big advantage  of no cost doesnt really apply). and as the novelty has worn off -  I'm now thinking of ditching the dual boot and going back to XP on its own but I'm not clear how to back track.  Embarrassed
The machine has 2 separate hard drives as I needed a bit more space than the one that came with the machine from new.
in Windows, looking at Disk Management
The first  HDD has 2 partitions C: (Windows) and 😧 (Recovery partition for Windows)
The Second  HDD is 37GB made up of
H: NTFS 3.45GB( the original drives recovery partition for Windows now formatted and empty
G: NTFS 17.16 GB
and  2 "logical drives" 15.92GB and 757 MB which I assume I created  as part of the linux set up
I'd quite like the Second HDD to be just one 40GB NTFS drive. Where do I go for simple instructions on doing that please.
3 REPLIES 3
Waldo
Grafter

Re: Stuck with Mint

I'd suggest backing-up any data on the second HDD you want to keep and re-partitioning / formatting the drive.
I'm not familiar with Disk Management in Windows but it should be able to do that, I guess. Alternatively, use disk utility in Mint (probably best done from a LiveCD).
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I assume you mean Mint 9, as 10 has only been out in RC for a week or so.
But to remove it and reformat the drive as a single drive.
Is there any data on the 2 NTFS partitions? If so it will take longer.
With data:
Can you back it up somewhere else? If so do that and move to without data.
Boot from the Live CD. Open Gparted (Menu/Administration)
Select the drive with the Linux partitions on it.
Click on the Linux partitions, and press Delete on each
Press the Apply button,
This has wiped the Linux partitions from the drive.
Select the small partition and press Delete
Press the Apply button,
Now select the remaining partition and choose expand, Then expand it n both directions and press Apply.
Wait for it to finish.
Without Data:
In windows - use disk manager to delete all the partitions and make one new one
In Linux Live CD- open Gparted select the drive (MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT ONE) and press New Partition Table, then apply and then create new partition - Primary - NTFS all of the drive and press apply.
To remove the grub boot loader. From a cmd prompt in XP enter "fdisk /mbr"
Thats it.
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Yes - my mistake it is Mint 9.
Having done a bit of research the whole Grub thing was my big concern. I guess if all else fails I could just reinstall a fresh copy of XP from my recovery partition.
Updated :
Actually I ended up with in GRUB RESCUE. The Supergrub file  has rescued me though.
Thanks for your help.