Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to find photo editing progs/apps

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Struggling to find photo editing progs/apps

Nope I just tried that, also even dropping an image on the ivew icon doesn't open the image.
Must be something in the way it handles the paths or WHY?
MrC
Grafter

On a completely different tangent KDE's Digikam has a batch facility which appears to support drag and drop and a number of basic functions. It also seems to allow you to specify an output directory, auto renaming options and is configurable to overwrite or prompt if writing to files of the same name.
I've attached a screen print of the batch queue manager for your delectation.
OK, if you don't already use KDE this means you have to add the KDE base & support libs to get this to work but it doesn't mean you have to use the rest of KDE. TBH I'd be amazed if there wasn't a native Gnome or other tool that didn't do this.
Of course if you don't mind command line stuff there's always the ImageMagick suite which will do everything you ever wanted to do (and is probably what I would use if doing simple batch editing of a load of graphics files) Smiley
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Shutter it might be worth checking out this proggie (http://photobatch.stani.be/) which looks like it will do what you want to do.
See here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=466598) also for more details.
It will add watermarks and resize etc in batch mode.
Edit:- it is in my repos so maybe in yours as well, just search for phatch.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Nope I just tried that, also even dropping an image on the ivew icon doesn't open the image.
Must be something in the way it handles the paths or WHY?

Ok, well it's strange!!
I installed IrfanView 4.27 and created the script file( irfanview.sh) . I then renamed a .jpg to .jpp and right clicked , selected open with and browsed to irfanview.sh and it opened it in irfanview. Subsequent double-clicks on .jpp opened in Photospot. So I then went to the .jpp file right clicked selected properties, 'open with' tab and now selected irfanview.sh from the list.
Double-clicking now works fine , it opens in irfanview Smiley
NB this is on Ubuntu NBR 9.04.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Very strange as I did almost the same except with a jpg, I created a script file, told it to run it, but ivew opened but no pic!  Shocked
Not sure if it is new in 10.04/Mint 9 but you can select the default viewer now from the properties page. So you can easily change what you want to open if it has gotten screwed up/changed.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

HB , Thats how I eventually did it. Having opened it once with irfanview.sh , then irfanview.sh apperaed in the list when using properties->open with.
I only used .jpp as a test so that it wouldnt change the defaults for .jpg , but I think it was too clever for me since it spotted that my .jpp was a jpeg file and changed the default anyway. BUt I could change it back with 'properties' anyway Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Ok this script works on Mint 9
#!/bin/sh 
IRFANVIEW="C:\\Program Files\Irfanview\i_view32.exe"
ROOT_DRIVE="Z:\\"
for arg
do
wine "$IRFANVIEW" "${ROOT_DRIVE}$(echo "$arg" | sed 's/\//\\/g')"
done

Strange but there you go, changes all the /'s to \'s for M$ compatibility.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd seen something like that somewhere else , but didn't understand the sed bit enough to suggest it... Smiley
Anyway shutter should be pleased.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Hi Guys.... back indoors.... and ready to have another go......
Oops.... just realised , hadn`t read page 3....
shutter
Community Veteran

Eureka ! ! ! !  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

managed to get it working by using HB`s script above.... however, it doesn`t open on double clicking the file name.... I have to use "Open With" and the irfan.sh....  which will do for now... at least I can open the first pic file in a folder, and then browse through the contents until I come to the one I need...
Thank you everybody for you help and advice, and patience...

My next prog to get working is FastImageResizer.... I`m hoping I can do that using a similar script  (change the location)... not sure if it may need some odd windows files (like the MFC32.dll for irfanview)...
It is downloaded and installed, and the icon is on the desktop, (exec permission granted !).... but it hasn`t worked .....YET ! !

OH.... how do I get my windows firefox "Reminderfox" entries onto my Mint firefox "Reminderfox" ?  
(at the bottom of this screen I have a recycle circle icon with "Disabled (Private Browsing) showing.... how do I enable it again... - I am assuming that has something to do with it.....!
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I know it is outside your comfort zone, but try the program I suggested at the top of the page.
Re not opening with double click it should, look at the properties page, under open with, and change to the script and it should now open.
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
I know it is outside your comfort zone, but try the program I suggested at the top of the page.
Re not opening with double click it should, look at the properties page, under open with, and change to the script and it should now open.

Yup !. have got that phatch prog on the listings.... haven`t tried it yet..... but it seems to do the things I want to do with Irfanview... (have spent all my time getting Irfanview working ...! ! )  so will have a play with it later this week...
Ok. will re look at "open with"...
cheers
Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Update.....  Undecided Undecided Undecided Cry
This morning, I wanted to refer back to an email I had received before installing the HDD with Mint 9 on , in my laptop, so I shut down and removed it, and then put in the original HDD with Vista and the emails on ... wouldn`t boot up.... !  got a message saying that a file was corrupt, and that I had to insert my windows cd and do a repair.... which didn`t repair, so I had to unload all my pics and docs etc from that hdd onto two others, so I could do a complete windows re-install.... It is now 17.30 and I still haven`t done the email.... I have probably lost it in the re-install as I don`t remember saving the relevant bit in  the users. folder..  I may have done... will have to find out later...

anyway, I am now going to do a re-install of Mint9 on this hdd and use it as dual boot, again, until I transfer all the pics and docs back again!... then I will wipe the biggest HDD and do a Mint 9 only hdd ...just for fun.! ! ! !...
Not saying the Mint 9 had anything to do with the failure.... in fact, I used  Ubuntu 9 live cd, to check the disc before I did the re-install, and it reported no errors, so really don`t know how it got corrupted.... the file in question was bat.sys.... why Microsoft, can`t just do a simple "overwrite and repair" I don`t know.... can`t be "that " difficult ,........ can it? ? ?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Not saying the Mint 9 had anything to do with the failure.

That right blame a perfectly innocent OS on the failure of the other one  Cry Tongue
If you install Mint side by side, it will COPY the stuff in your document folder etc, (I forgot about this as I don't use it this way) so that is why the other day you couldn't find that file, it was on a different drive! BUT it doesn't usually write to your win drive unless you tell it to ... did you?
I would suggest you buy some 2.5" hdd caddies they are much easier than swapping hdd's all the time, and using Mint you could have read the files from the other hdd. Unless of course it is inside a pst ... Although I think thunderbird will open them as well ..
BTW last time I installed XP (in a VM) it took several hours and that was a clean install, I wouldn't wait up for it unless you REALLY need that file...
shutter
Community Veteran

I do have a dual SATA/IDE caddy, so I can transfer files quite easily.... I had a spare drive with Mint 9 as the only  OS, so I could "get used" to the idea of only one OS on the laptop....
Problem I have now .... I have two copies of Mint 9 on this HDD with Vista.... cos I thought it would format the whole drive and wipe Mint when I did the re-install, and when windows Vista booted up , it did not show the grub loader page.... so I assumed it wasn`t there ! ! ...

any advice on how to destroy the two copies of Mint so I can do a re-install with only one partition for it and one for vista?
Undecided