Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to find photo editing progs/apps

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Struggling to find photo editing progs/apps

I have now loaded a spare HDD with Linux Mint 9 Isadora..... and so far... am making progress....
However, I am struggling to find photo editing progs that are comparable to Irfanview, and Fast Image Resizer. 
those two are the most used by me for what I do with pics.... I have been through Gimp and Picasa and a whole load of other stuff on the software manager, and pagckage manager, but nothing touches these two progs for ease of use.
e.g. If I want to crop a pic in Irfanview, it displays each pic consecutively, (forward and back) and you can manip each pic, and resave it in the same "frame".
whereas Gimp and Picasa (and other apps)  require several "changes of frame" after each manip, before finally saving the last one... mucho hard graft in graphics is not very "friendly"....
e.g. If I want to add my (c) information, I have to do it to each pic, and have to type it into each pic.... in Irfanview, I just type it once, and it saves the text box and text, until I next need it. one click and the next pic is (c) ....
Re-sizing.... in fast image resizer.... I set the paramaters ONCE.... then all I do is drag and drop the relevant pics onto the icon, and in a flash, they are re-sized, renamed, and delivered into a subfolder of the original....
in Picasa, you have to move the pics one by one, to a new folder, then add them one by one to that folder before adding them all to the batch resize... and then it is not clear what size you are resizing them to... and then you have to locate them or add them to a new folder ....
Is there someone/some way that can produce a Linux Mint 9 version of the two progs mentioned?
46 REPLIES 46
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Struggling to find photo editing progs/apps

pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont know what the photo prog is but it uses Kolour to change sizes etc  http://kolourpaint.sourceforge.net/
Not applicable

Doesn't Irfanview work on Linux? I thought that it did. Here is one link after a quick google: http://www.boekhoff.info/?pid=linux&tip=install-irfan-view-on-linux
Quote from Irfanview FAQ's:
Q: Can I use IrfanView on Linux?
A: Yes. There is no native-Linux version of IrfanView. However, you can use IrfanView in conjunction with Linux programs like WINE, Windows Linux emulators and Linux-based virtual machines. Take the ZIP version of IrfanView and unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder to Linux. This is easier because the installer may need additional Windows DLLs to run. See instructions on: IrfanView on Linux with Wine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or from the Ubuntu community site - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine/IrfanView
shutter
Community Veteran

@pierre,  thanks for the  linkys.... I have checked out all the Linux photo progs. and not happy with how or what they do...
@poppy.... your link seems to be easy to follow instructions,......but... I must be very dim.... as I just cannot figure out what I am supposed to put in what box, it looks like I have to have windows installed on C/: drive and then Linux finds it to run it.... which defeats the object.... I have not got windows on my hdd.... (although I have it on a seperate hdd that is on a caddy.  I am trying to get away from windows
Perhaps a (long, or very long) Private Message, with noddy`s guide step by step instructions for someone who does not know Linux ..... (the instructions on the linky seem to assume some working knowledge of Linux ! ! )....
(I have got wine installed...... I think.... but don`t know where it is located... nor how to access it....)
(I have downloaded the latest Irfanview.exe file and the plugins too... and can find them..... have even made a special folder for them....! )
(I can find the files, but I haven`t a clue how to "point" any other prog to them, to execute them....)

@ purleigh... Thanks for your linky !..... tried to follow the instructions on there, only to hit a brick wall, as it doesn`t tie up with what I do, or get on my screen !...
Still struggling....
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Wine is your friend when it comes to having to run the odd M$ proggie, it EMULATES your M$ system, so you have a folder called C and Program Files Windows etc, so the M$ proggies feel at home  Wink
You just need to download Infranview, then right click on the exe and choose Run with Wine, and it will install it in to the system for you, then you have a Wine folder in the main menu, and infranview will be in it and you can just click on it to run it (just like windows)
shutter
Community Veteran

OK. I understand all that,....... but my computer doesn`t understand what I am trying to do !...
Lets get back to basics.... (very basic please! )...... WINE... as I said, "I think I have it installed...".  I click on Menu, and I see Wine with a half full glass of red wine as an icon..... so I click on Browse C drive.....and then I have a folder called Program Files  inside which I have another folder called Irfanview inside that I have the Irfanview 427_setup.exe file and the plugins setup.exe file.
When I right click on the Irfanview427 setup .exe file I click on "open with wine windows program loader........  I get a box with a No Entry sign..... and " The file '/home/gerry/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Irfanview/iview427_setup.exe' is not marked as executable.  If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run.  For more details, read about the executable bit "
so can you tell me where I am going wrong?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You need to make the ..setup.exe file executable. Browse to it with Nautilus , right click and select Properties. Select the Permissions tab and check Execute box.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Ok I take it you ran the installer by right clicking etc. At this Point DON'T USE VIEW PROGRAM FILES etc. That is the M$ way of doing it, we are in Linux.
If you did then it should have created a program group INSIDE the wine group in the menu ?
... goes off to install it to check....
I'll be back..
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: MisterW
You need to make the ..setup.exe file executable. Browse to it with Nautilus , right click and select Properties. Select the Permissions tab and check Execute box.

There`s a program on Radio 4..... which title, sums up the above....... "I`m sorry, I haven`t a clue"....! 
HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK. easisest way install winetricks (from here http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks right click and save the file), when it has downloaded, rightclick choose properties and tick the make executable.
Then run the winetricks and install the mfc42.dll package.
NOW install the infranview by going to the wine group and choose Uninstall Wine s/w (I know it also installs it!), click on the Install button and navigate to the exe (or right click and choose run with wine) the "normal" installer will now run and it ill appear in the menu under wine.  Cheesy
Now you can do the same as what you did in XP.
If you need to setup folders for pictures then run the wincfg (Wine group and configure wine) and choose the Drives tab to "map" different drives to the folders in your system, so you can have a drive for new pics and  different one for completed pics.
shutter
Community Veteran

HA!... managed to get it running.!... did not do anything with the link..... went to the Uninstall wine bit and it worked ..!.... !
Thanks HB

Next question... at present my pics open (on double click of the file name) by default, with Gimp.... I have tried to  "open with......."  and want Irfanview, to be the default.... but it is not listed in the prog listing.... how do I get my pic file to open with Irfanview, by default?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@shutter,
The good news is that it should be possible ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1250355 ), the bad news is that its not simple. The problem is that InfanView is not a program, as such, as far as Linux is concerned, Wine is the program. You therefore need to create a script which runs InfanView under WIne and passes the file you select as a parameter. You can then associate the script with the filetype(s) for your pics.
Its not that easy though, have a read of the link, come back with any queries and we'll try and help.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

ok..... so I think I understand.... Irfanview, is like a "subfolder" of WINE... and I need to write a script.... instructing wine that I want to use Irfanview, as the default viewer...
1. what is the exact letter for letter/ keystroke of the script
2. where do I write it
3. where do I put it.
4 how does it pass the script (file?) on to the Parameter (program list in "open with" )?
see..... I really haven`t got a clue.... I need specific step by step instructions