cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming audio

JPN
Rising Star

Streaming audio

How would one stream audio files to various rooms in the house?  I have a set of audio files on a network disk which I'd like to listen to either in one room, or maybe in multiple rooms as I move about.  How is this best, (and most simply) done?  Looking around the internet, and talking with various shop assistants, almost everything seems to involve something out on the internet, but I'm looking for a purely local capability.  Any suggestions?

11 REPLIES 11
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Streaming audio

Depends on "how" you want to listen to the music....  

I bought a pair of RF wireless Headphones by SONY... similar to these... from PCworld a couple of years ago.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-rf811rk

They were about £35-£40 

The reason I bought them, was because "Bluetooth" wireless headphones appeared to have some time lag, between the Laptop Screen ( lip synch ) and the sound in the ears... and also because of a Morse program I use, that also had a time lag delay, between the key making the morse letter sound, and the sound in the ears... I put this down to "double processing times"... i.e the sound is generated and processed for the phones out put socket.  and then has to be processed a second time for the Bluetooth phones.  I may be wrong on that.. but that is how it seemed to me...

With the SONY RF wireless ones, there was no delay in the sound... AND the range of the phones meant that if needed, I could roam to the chalet at the bottom of the garden and still hear the music with excellent quality.

"doing a google" on the "shopping" section ... brought up this set...

https://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/19551780/wireless-hi-fi-5in1-tv?gps=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIucTqoPyx3wIV5r3t...

which seems to be a good idea...(fm radio included... etc etc  )... put your phone near the "stand" and that transmits your phone music files to the headphones !.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,

Have you looked at VLC? I can connect to a NAS drive and play various types of med files on my tablet.

Dan

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Sonos speaker(s) would work

shutter
Community Veteran

@JPN  Here is the linky to SONOS Speakers

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/products/wireless-speakers

That @daveplus mentioned ! ! !..

Looks like the answer to your prayers   ! ! !

JPN
Rising Star

Thank you all for the suggestions.  Shutter, we have a pair of bluetooth headphones. The lag I don't mind as it's purely audio, so no visual lag issues. Range is a problem though, and I would also prefer not to use headphones as we tend to listen together to things.   I regularly use VLC Dan, but it's what to play it through is the problem. I can play through a tablet or PC but the quality is not ideal. 

Those Sonos speakers at first glance were a 'possible' but then saw the reference to Amazon Alexa, and that is an automatic no-no.  Also the price was an 'ouch'.   Shutter, I think for those, the answer to my prayers would have to be next Tuesday's Euromillions winning numbers.

It would seem that some form of wifi enabled speakers but without the necessity for connecting to the (external) internet would do the trick. Is there such a thing as a DLNA  compatible speaker at a reasonable price?

shutter
Community Veteran

There is a cheaper range here

https://www.richersounds.com/wireless-streaming-multiroom-label/bluetooth-wireless-speakers.html

don`t know anything about them... BUT... the £24.95 one`s are about 3.25" by 2.75"  So the speakers inside won`t be very big... so the sound quality will not be "concert hall"  ! ! ..

However... if you could source some BIGGER speakers,  say 4" diameter,  and want to hack them about a bit,..i.e. remove the innards, solder on the bigger speakers, and rebuild the enclosures to accomodate bigger speakers, then that may be a way forward.

Of course, being bluetooth... again.. you have to ask about the range from the output device to the speakers, to determine if they are suitable.

shutter
Community Veteran

@JPN Going down a different route..... how about wiring up your rooms to an amplifier  ? base the amplifier somewhere you can plug in your "device"  ( phone/laptop/ipad whatever).. with 3.5 jack/socket  then wire your speakers from the output.

This one is 10W on 8ohm speakers.  supplied with two speakers..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Rapid-10w-Stereo-Amplifier-With-Speakers/1262450684?iid=132076498485

( you can buy similar size to add more rooms )..  I think this one should be able to handle at least 4 speakers... and possibly 6 if the volume is not turned up too high..i.e. to provide just above background sound level.

JVC speakers..... on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-420-Watts-4-Inch-10cm-Dual-Cone-Car-Van-Truck-Door-Dash-Speakers-New-...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If you have an existing audio system then this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O0U37HO/ref=asc_df_B00O0U37HO57632442/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=221... might be a possibility

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Once had a 2 x 100W hi-fi amplifier had it connected to 2/4 50W speakers in two rooms with a DPDT switch.

Didn't seem to bother it that it saw a nominal 4 or 8 ohms impedance, according to number of speakers switched in.

Modern amplifiers might not cope with this.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

JPN
Rising Star

Ah, that network receiver/DAC looks like a promising concept, and also makes use of existing equipment. I shall do  a little more research on that type of device. Very helpful folks, thank you. 

Farrinaf
Grafter

I have built a system which I think ticks all your requirements for local music storage using Raspberry Pi3 with additional HAT add ons. It also allows you to stream BBC Radio Live and Listen again (all without having to login) Cost per station (ie room setup) hardware wise at 2016 prices was circa £120 plus loud speakers.

I wrote a missive to a friend who was looking to copy me (see attached). It may be a little out of date, but if having digested it, you are interested in progressing further happy to assist with any questions you have.

Later - instructions on how to assemble hardware here Here