Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strangely generated email

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Strangely generated email

An organisation and its officials that I am associated with also uses Plusnet, Very recently one officer found that a single word email had been generated, apparently without his knowledge, and sent to a large number of organisation members.
Has anyone ideas how that could have happened, and what to do? I'm curious!
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
5 REPLIES 5
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Strangely generated email

Malware of some sort has hijacked his address book?
Luzern
Hero

My first thoughts too, but are there other likely reasons?
I suggested he change PN and email client p'words and that they should be strong. Do a deep scan with his AV program, and with Malwarebytes in case he has something installed as well on his system.
BTW he says he is having problems sending emails as well. Another factor is that other officers of the organisation same @xxxx,plus,com domain
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Hero

Out of interest; is there a method to actually make an email address book fully secure against intrusions?
zubel
Community Veteran

Yeah - keep it in your head and not on the computer!
B.
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: lucerne
I suggested he change PN and email client p'words and that they should be strong. Do a deep scan with his AV program, and with Malwarebytes in case he has something installed as well on his system.

That lot should cure it, with any luck. Another thought - has he signed up with Facebook or any similar site? They have this dodgy habit of asking for your email login details so they can send invitations to all your contacts without your knowledge. You can opt out, but a lot of people don't realise the implications of giving away their passwords.