Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange wireless access problem

PortyAL
Grafter

Strange wireless access problem

Hi
I have 2 desktop PC's and a wireless laptop on a home network. One desktop (XP Prof) has a wired connection, the other (Win 98 SE) is connected via a Linksys 11b USB wireless adapter. Each PC has a static IP address assigned with default gateway and DNS servers also manually assigned (212.159.13.49,  212.159.13.50).
Originally I was on BB+ and had a BT Voyager 205 1 port router with a 4 port switch plugged in, and a Linksys 11b WAP plugged into the switch.
Everything worked well until I upgraded to BBMW Option 2 and to the supplied BT Voyager 2091. The XP Prof desktop and wireless laptop continue to work fine without having to modify any settings, but I'm having no end of bother with the Win 98 PC with the USB wireless adapter.
The adpater detects the wireless network OK and lets me connect to it after entering the WEP security code, but thats as far as it goes. I cannot see any network resources or access the internet. With the static IP address etc. set as before, ipconfig shows IP address 192.168.1.130 and default gateway 192.168.1.1, but I cannot  "ping" the router on 192.168.1.1. or any other network resource.
When I set the PC to obtain an IP address automatically, it does not pick up a 192.168.1.x address. Rather the IP address starts with 169..... (can't remember the rest.)
I tried a different USB adapter (Zxyel G-202) but this was the same.
I am confused as to why 2 PC's on my network work perfectly with the new router with the same static IP settings as before, but the other PC refuses to play ball. I even tried installing XP Prof on the PC, but it made no difference.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
AL
2 REPLIES 2
samuria
Grafter

Re: Strange wireless access problem

Can you post an ipconfig /all off the laptop and then from the win98 pc so we can see whats happening. Has the new router got a different ip range than before?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Strange wireless access problem

Did you ever change your router settings so as to only accept certain MAC addresses (PC adaptor cards) - it's a weak security precaution that is sometimes used.
If so, trying turning that feature off on the router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."