cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange new Kaspersky problem

ArthurDent
Grafter

Strange new Kaspersky problem

Ancestry.co.uk is an encrypted and reputable genealogy website which we have used for years - and I mean years. Recently it has caused KIS 2016 to flag up a domain certificate authenticity warning - twice. The offending (?) URL is actually fel.ancestry.co.uk. Ancestry themselves know nothing of this but have undertaken to investigate for me. This also happened once before recently on a totally separate website, which I then put down as merely a false positive. Full scan just done on KIS, plus Malwarebytes anti-malware and anti-rootkit come back clear.

But posting a query on Kaspersky's own forum reveals real confusion regarding update version numbers - somehow connected with Win 10? However this error pops up on our laptop, still on Win 8.1, flagged under Chrome. So far I haven't seen it on our Win 10 desktop.

We are meticulous about updating on both, and on running full scans. We have a 2yr, 3 PC KIS licence with yonks to run. Version # is 16.0.0.614(g). A guy on KIS forum suggests moving to 16.01.445, but that isn't listed as available, so it would be a roundabout route to it which, as I have a high level of incompetence, I'm not comfortable with.
Huh
What the blanket-blank is going on here please? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Strange new Kaspersky problem

My Kaspersky says it is 16.0.1.445 (c).  I have not done anything clever to arrive at this version.

http://fel.ancestry.co.uk/ is a page that says "Hello!" in the top left hand corner but is otherwise blank.  Kaspersky did not object to loading it.

ArthurDent
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. I wonder why KIS hasn't done an automatic update to 16.01.445 for me (or at the very least advised of it's availability)? Looks like a phone call to the sainted Kaspersky. is needed.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

mine is 16.0.0.614g so will investigate later as I wonder if we are comparing different versions

ArthurDent
Grafter

Thanks Jim. Our kit (Win 10 desktop and Win 8.1 laptop) seems to be on the version you mentioned too. Really don't understand what's occurring here, and apparently I'm not alone.

We had this two weeks ago, also on the laptop, during an on-line  Waitrose order. Slightly worrying, for obvious reasons, but in the end I concluded it was a false positive.

Why probs suddenly after all this time?,

Kaspersky seems to have gone to earth.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have checked and posted here https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=352365

From a quick look it appears that the Kaspersky UK Site isn't offering the latest version so the automatic updater won't pick it up

Further check https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=344430 and the 16.0.1.445 version was pulled because of problems

ArthurDent
Grafter

Renewed thanks, Jim!

It now appears that the newer version was withdrawn due to some booboo which had crept through - although this doesn't seem to have been well publicised, and some gurus (staff?) on the net are still advising to update to it.

ArthurDent
Grafter

Deeply disappointed with Kaspersky's Cust Serv. Posted the query way over a week ago and had no response other than acknowledgement of receipt. Must surely be a KIS wrinkle but even if not related to this version number caper I would have expected some sort of meaningful communication. Had to post again and so far only had a bog-standard request for screen print. Never had anything like this previously.

ArthurDent
Grafter

You're now bored to tears by me banging on about this fandango, but I've at last had a considered response from Kaspersky:

. . .  please accept our apologies for the delayed answer. We would like to inform you that the notification message of "Cannot guarantee authenticity of the domain to which encrypted connection is established" is irrelevant of Kaspersky version and can be shown either to 16.0.0.0.614 or 16.0.1.445. Additionally please be informed that, If this issue occurs only on specific https websites, then the cause is that website's certificate does not cover/apply to all elements on the website, or, there are background requests to an unsigned location. This popup does not affect anything and only acts as a warning. Feel free to continue browsing or "Disconnect" (Disconnect is preferred). There are plans for the 2017 version to do away with this popup. The new version of 2017 will be available this summer.

Reasonably, then, they blame the website itself (which of course has been denied). OK, but wonder why it's suddenly occurring? Interesting, then, that they say the 2017 version of KIS will fix it. Also that there's no attempt to clarify the 16.0.0.614 and 16.0.1.445 confusion in UK.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have been following this topic and have not yet lost interest.  The problem could suddenly occur if the web site certificate reached the end of its validity period.  Or if your computer clock suddenly becames set to the wrong date so the site certificate appears to be invalid.