Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Thing has happened

Gstar
Dabbler

Strange Thing has happened

Hi
I came home from work to find that my 3 year old had been playing with my pc. As a result strange things have occurred.
When i view a web page and click on a link it actually moves me one page backwards. This happens on anything i view.
I cannot shut down my pc as when i click on the shut down button it just cancels it. It is as though the settings have been changed.
There are other various changes which i can try and explain in more detail if it helps. I'm not sure whats relevant and whats not.
I am running Vista home Premium.
Hopefully you can help! Many thanks
16 REPLIES 16
hulls
Grafter

Re: Strange Thing has happened

Have you tried briefly pressing the power button on your computer to turn it off? (rather than clicking <start>,  <shutdown>)
John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

If you hold CTRL, ALT and DEL are you able to shutdown from there?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gstar
Dabbler

Sorry
I didnt quite make myself clear. I can turn it on and off by doing as you say. I was just trying to highlight one of the issues, i.e point and click isnt functioning properley. It is affecting how i view web pages and how i view everything on the pc from looking at files to just turning the PC off.
Thanks.
James
Grafter

If it's Windows XP can you do a system restore?
Gstar
Dabbler

Its Vista Home Premium,
Can i still do a system restore? And the next question... if so.....how?
Thanks
Swift
Dabbler

Just click the Start button , type System Restore in the Search box, and then click System Restore (type your password or provide confirmation if prompted). Then follow the steps in the wizard.
Try to go back to yesterday at the most.
Gstar
Dabbler

Will do, thanks Swift
Gstar
Dabbler

Ok, i'm really struggling now.
I did a system restore and it failed. An 'unexpected error' occurred.
Basically anytime i want to navigate by left clicking my mouse i tend to get random results. What i mean by this is initially it will take me where i want to go and then either after a few seconds the page will automatically revert to the previous one or if i try to navigate somewhere new the computer seems to take this as a request to go back.
This happens when web browsing but also when navigating around any areas of my pc. I have done a full system scan (running Norton 360) and tried disconnecting my Broadband also.
Windows updates are failing to install also.
Any ideas would be appreciated and please let me know if you need more information from me. Do i need to re-install my OS?
Thanks
Denzil
Grafter

I would suggest the next thing to try is doing another System Restore, but go back to an earlier date.
Do you have a full install CD for Vista? If the system restore doesn't work try booting from the Vista CD and choose the Repair option rather than a full install. Might work.
Is all your data backed up? If not, do it now!
Not applicable

Quote from: Gstar
Basically anytime i want to navigate by left clicking my mouse i tend to get random results. What i mean by this is initially it will take me where i want to go and then either after a few seconds the page will automatically revert to the previous one or if i try to navigate somewhere new the computer seems to take this as a request to go back.

You don't have a PC-Line usb mouse do you?
I've just witnessed a similar problem on our technical director's machine.
Re-starting the machine had no effect, but removing the mouse for 30 seconds before replacing it has done the trick.
Symptoms were as you describe.
Gstar
Dabbler

Thanks Denzil
I will check my cd's and try that.
I tried several different repair dates (going back over a week)and they all failed. Unfortunately now i dont even have the option of the old dates, they have disapeared. I only have the option now of restoring yesterday.
Gstar
Dabbler

I have a logitech cordless mouse.
So are you saying turn it off for 30 seconds or turn off the machine first then turn the mouse back on 30 seconds after reboot?
Thanks James_H
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm, as James said .. all the symptons that have been described sound like a dodgy mouse. It might not be a simple as that, but trying a different one is a good place to start Smiley
Could something have been spilt on it? I only say that as I've killed work keyboards before by dropping tea over them, and I've had the random keyboard behaviour after doing so.
I assume the same could happen to a mouse.
Not applicable

I left the machine on, and unplugged the USB cable from the box for 30 seconds.
On plugging it back in, the fault disappeared. (The mouse is only a couple of days old too)
Could be just random - but if its easy and free - its gotta be worth a go!