cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Page Loading Problem

thejudge
Rising Star

Strange Page Loading Problem

I'm having persistent problems with loading some pages from The Guardian's website. It's been going on a long time.
I click on the link and the progress indicator under the address bar (this is Firefox 8, but the same problem occurred with earlier versions) will go to about 80% of the way but then stop.
In the status bar at the bottom, it will say "Waiting for combo.guim.co.uk" (just occasionally it's a different address).
The page itself will not load. I have to click the 'stop loading' icon (which brings up a blank page) and then F5. At this point the page will load properly.
I see that 'combo.guim.co.uk' is hosted by Akamai, and we know that +Net throttles traffic to Akamai servers (or at least it used to).
Can anyone suggest how I can get round this constant nuisance without the actions I mentioned above?
TIA
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Strange Page Loading Problem

I don't see the problem.
However I have Adblock Plus running
The other thing which may be worth checking are the MTU values in the router and on the PC - mine are set to 1500
pierre_pierre
Grafter

loaded for me on Firefox 8.0, but did pause for a couple of second at guim.co.uk.  and I on a Win 7 basic netbook without ad block
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried a few "Guardian" pages and they all loaded instantly and completely !
I saw the 'guim' link momentarily appear at the bottom of the page, but it really was a small fraction of a second.
Ubuntu=10.10 / Firefox=3.6.24 with "AdBlock Plus" / MTU=1458
Note that "AdBlock Plus" was not blocking the 'guim' links on my page loads - mostly blocking 'doubleclick' and 'scorecardresearch'
Can 'thejudge' post a few links to pages that cause problems, so we are all looking at exactly the same thing ?
thejudge
Rising Star

Trouble is, it doesn't happen every time, but it happens far more often than not. Also, it can happen the first time with any given link, but not with any subsequent time during that browser session (cached pages, perhaps?).
I have Adblock Plus, but that isn't blocking that address. MTU is 1492.