cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange IP addresses

Puck

Strange IP addresses

Hi, I received a notification from the 'Microsoft Account' team of 'unusual sign in activity' and to check recent activity. There were indeed some IP addresses and locations I did not recognise eg 146.90.25.212 nr Leicester and 91.125.159.213 nr Ashford Kent. This has happened once before. I changed my Microsoft password just to be safe. However there is no other indication of my account being compromised or someone accessing my email. I also use Thunderbird as an email client with Live.com. I have had to turn off my router a few times lately as was having a few problems with my PC. I have run numerous scans for malware and virus's and nothing major which would indicate PC compromised. I only have a basic understanding of IP addresses but I know they can change and sometimes be rerouted ? However due to lack of knowledge I am left feeling slightly uneasy about the security of my Microsoft account and email. Could anyone offer an explanation for these odd IP addresses and locations and whether I need to take any further action ?
2 REPLIES 2
C1Rider
Grafter

Re: Strange IP addresses

Hello Puck,
Both addresses appear to be PLusNet addresses, maybe with the troubles you have had with your PC your IP address has changed frequently and these are two that have been allocated to you.
Just a thought.
Regards..
Puck

Re: Strange IP addresses

Hi C1Rider,

Thanks for the suggestion and, yes, I think you are correct. I finally searched a few of those IP addresses myself, not sure why I didn't do it earlier, and, yes,  all those I could access were Plusnet. I agree it must have been because I was switching off router and PC to overcome a glitch. At least Microsofts account protection is on the ball.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Regards