Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sticky Wicket

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Sticky Wicket

My desktop machine has given up the ghost. It's a 2.8GHz CeleronD machine with a whopping 1Gb ram  Roll_eyes
It won't turn on... and then after having pressed the power button several times it will suddenly turn itself on 10 minutes later.. and do nothing else.
It won't boot, no POST, no nothing. The monitors don't even flick on from standby. From my POV its one of 3 things:

• PSU - Turns on, fans spin etc but I've known this happen with other dead ones

• Motherboard - There is no post output at all (monitors don't turn on either). No beeps or anything.

• Processor - burnt out (was playing quite a heavy game the last few days) - Fan sometimes goes into overdrive when it turns on

With my collection of 'mature' machines this wouldn't be a problem - they're all AMD socket A so I could swap bits over to find which part is defective.
Unfortunately this is a Intel Celeron (No idea what socket) and I've got no other intel hardware to swap it with apart from the PSU.
Any ideas how I can determine which of the Proccy and mobo could be at fault without other hardware? - PSU I can test on one of my old noisy rumbler machines but I can't afford to spend out on a mobo or proccy and get the wrong one!
Thanks
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES 6
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Sticky Wicket

I think your Motherboard is ded, but I could be wrong.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have a close look at the motherboard - are there any swollen capacitors
7up
Community Veteran

@ MC: Well its either that, the PSU or processor. Either way unless you've any ideas as to HOW to test the processor and mobo then you can't really say the mobo is dead.
@OJ: Checked that as it does have the same symptoms of another board I replaced years ago with them. They seem to be fine though - I thought I'd at least find a few duffers to replace but this one has me stumped.
gadfly
Grafter

The motherboard's make/model when Googled will tell you which Socket it is and then you should be able to buy a board with that socket type on eBay really cheaply.
You can also probably buy motherboard/processor bundles or motherboard/processor/memory bundles that can be powered by your PSU (assuming it isn't the faulty component) without having to shell out very much. I would get the same socket-type motherboard so that you can use your processor and memory with or get another socket type if the motherboard comes with a processor and you know that it supports the memory modules that you have.
You can use crucial.com to find out which type of memory a particular motherboard supports.
If you power supply turns out to be faulty, here is a nice inexpensive 430W unit that should be sufficient for your needs: "Supports the latest ATX12V v2.3 standard and is backward compatible with ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 systems."
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-033-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

More often than not it's the PSU.  Test that then worry about the other possibilities.
7up
Community Veteran

Sorry guys forgot to update you all. It was the PSU.. I'm now using a really old noisy one..