cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam and Plusnet Protect / Mcafee

tonesav

Steam and Plusnet Protect / Mcafee

Hi all
I am running windows 10 and playing the odd game on steam mostly its running OK but when ever I get a steam update I have to disable the firewall and the antivirus temporally or get an error 51 or 41 from steam.
On other antivirus programs I would have disabled scanning of the effected folders (I can only find an exclude file not folder) and then investigated which ports to open on the firewall for this to work.
My question is has any one got a way to make this work with out a manual switch off each time an update comes in ?
Thanks
Tony
3 REPLIES 3
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Steam and Plusnet Protect / Mcafee

In Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Firewall\Allowed apps are all the steams apps enabled?
Sorry I just saw you were looking for Mcafee help, I missed that bit . The above was for the Windows Defender firewall.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Last time I looked (last week?) McAfee said their products were not supported on Windows 10.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

yeah currently they don't officially support w10, but its far more stable on w10 than it is on w8.1 (MacAfee) each time it does an update it doesn't screw up your pc and refuse to operate, randomly disabling things or starting scan processes 5 minutes after finishing the scheduled one or just making your pc freeze for up to 5 minutes when you try to open a webpage ......
to the question, open the MacAfee user interface, go to firewall, open the first bar and change it to the "ask every time option", open the second bar and change it to stealth, open the programs bar,  scroll down for the steam entries and change them to allowed  unrestricted if there are no steam entries then click the add button and locate the steam program file (steam.exe) authorise it for full access to the internet.
close the MacAfee U.I., locate steam in the all programs list, right click, select properties, compatibility, change settings for all users, tick "run as administrator" hit ok, then ok, restart the pc.
open steam (should give you an annoying authorisation popup) select any game from your list for download or update, MacAfee will now take a few seconds and give you a popup asking if you want to block, allow once or allow always, simpler than having to disable the firewall every time you want to download things Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you