Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static electricity.

FIXED
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Static electricity.

I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm tinkering with the new motherboard and at present it's sat in a cardboard box for easy access (that and i've not found a case yet lol).

I have me an antistatic wristband, wire and the mains plug it attaches to however I've noticed that even when wearing it with it connected to the mains, my trousers are still full of static. Even if i touch my trousers against an exposed radiator pipe (eg holding the trousers against it with my hand) the static still doesn't seem to discharge.

Worse i keep feeling it on my shirt too and obviously i don't want to fry a motherboard.

What am I doing wrong here / what can I do? Please don't say work on it in the nuddy lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Static electricity.

Is the carpet your standing on the the clothes you are wearing nylon? If they are then stand on a rubber mat if you have such a thing or maybe even a bit of cardboard under your feet to help prevent the build up.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Your motherboard should be placed on a conductive mat and your wrist band connected to that and also to earth. If you have a large enough antistatic bag they are ideal to rest the motherboard on. You can earth it with a croc clip and lead, else just make sure that you touch it with you bonded hand as much as possible. If you do this then you should be OK, providing of course that you don't sit on the motherboard!

The other thing of course is to do your utmost to not touch tracks or especially open circuit connection pins.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

What is the position if you were wearing those disposable surgeons gloves whilst doing this type of work ?

Would that work or not ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Baldrick1

Not unless they're electrically conductive and earthed, so no.

Moderator and Customer

7up
Community Veteran

I think glen is meaning the gloves would stop the static travelling across to the motherboard - insulating like they do normal electricity.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Baldrick1

If they're insulated then they can build up static. What you need is to prevent the static from being able to build up by having as much as possible earthed, not insulated.

Moderator and Customer

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Fix

wear cotton or wool trousers/shirt as it sounds as though they are nylon at present

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

So there you have it, don't wear nylons..ooops..that doesn't look right, but you know what I mean.  

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.