cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP where...

marmalizer
Dabbler

Static IP where...

Just chose the option to go from dynamic to a static ip and now websites e.g. www.national-lottery.co.uk are saying that i am outside the U.K. and am now no longer allowed to access it.
Is there anything Plusnet or myself can do to remedy this?
23 REPLIES 23
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Static IP where...

Hi marmalizer,
As far as we're aware there shouldn't be any problems. Have you had any issues on other websites?
It might be worth contacting National Lottery to see they are having any issues at all.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@marmalizer,
You're not the only one with the problem
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Other-Queries/National-Lottery-Site-thinks-im-outside-the-UK-and... and http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Setup-Connection-WiFi/National-Lottery-Outside-UK/td-p/894656 are typical.
Sounds like the NL are a bit tardy in updating their list of UK addresses.
I'm a bit surprised that it happends with a Static IP though, I thought they were all from long established IP blocks.
@Chris,
Have PN introduced any new blocks of Static IP's recently ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

marmalizer
Dabbler

Got a reply back from Camelot although not a good one  Sad
I have already told them I'm on a static IP
"Dear Mr Marmalizer
Thank you for your email dated 27 March 2013 regarding issues accessing your National Lottery Account.
Generally speaking players who are with major broadband providers are allocated IP addresses dynamically.  
You will be prevented from accessing your Account if you are attempting to access from a computer device that routes its internet traffic through servers which are based outside of the UK or Isle of Man. This is because it is not possible in this situation to distinguish which people are legitimately within the UK or the Isle of Man and which are outside.
Therefore if you disconnect your modem for ten minutes and reconnect you will be allocated a new IP address, allowing you to access the site once more.
I hope this information has been of assistance. If you have any further enquiries or feedback to provide please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Yours sincerely

National Lottery Customer Care Team"
picbits
Rising Star

I would reply asking them to escallate the issue to someone who knows what they are talking about having clearly stated that you are on a static IP and that resyncing won't make any difference.
marmalizer
Dabbler

Have replied to them and this is now their take on the issue:-
Dear Mr Marmalizer
Thank you for your email dated 28 March 2013. I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing problems with accessing your account.
You will be prevented from accessing your Account if you are attempting to access from a computer device which routes its internet traffic through servers which are based outside of the UK or Isle of Man.
This is because it is not possible in this situation to distinguish which people are legitimately within the UK or the Isle of Man and which are outside.
I can confirm that our location software recognises Internet Protocol addresses (IP addresses) that are used by UK and Isle of Man based Internet Service Providers (ISPs). If you are accessing our website from inside the UK or Isle of Man and your address isn’t recognised by the software, you will need to contact your ISP, as only your ISP can register your address as being situated in the UK or Isle of Man.
Our location software uses a database of UK and Isle of Man addresses that is updated frequently from data provided by ISPs, however any changes made by your ISP will not have immediate effect. You would need to wait until our next database update in order to be able to gain access.
You may also be experiencing similar issues with access if you’re using an anonymiser to browse the internet and/or are using the following IP routing types; superpop, satellite, cache proxy or an international proxy. Based on the information in your email, I can confirm that your IP address has an anonymiser applied to it rendering it unrecognisable to our system. As a result our system prohibits access.
In order for you to re-establish access to your account through your ISP, I would recommend that you contact your ISP for further advice. 
I hope the above has clarified the matter and if you have any further queries, I would be grateful if you would contact our Interactive Customer Care Team on 0845 278 8000 where one of our representatives will be pleased to assist you. Our opening hours are: Monday to Sunday – 8am to 11pm.
Yours sincerely
National Lottery Customer Care Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Based on the information in your email, I can confirm that your IP address has an anonymiser applied to it

That's interesting, any PN staff care to comment ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

What does http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup give for your location?
That page has my static IP included in the lookup box when I visit the page, and clicking the button gives my location as United Kingdom, City of London which is where the gateway is located. So entirely correct as far as I am concerned.
I've also tried a friend's dynamic IP; that comes up in the United Kingdom but omits the region and city. However the coordinates are in London.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This is the result - I have missed out the private bits and is the same result as my fixed IP
ISP: PlusNet Technologies Ltd
Organization: PlusNet Technologies Ltd
Services: None detected
Type: Broadband
Assignment: Static IP
Blacklist:
Geolocation Information
Latitude: 51.5  (51° 30′ 0.00″ N)
Longitude: -0.13  (0° 7′ 48.00″ W)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We're chasing this up and I'll let you know as soon as we've got an update. It will more than likely be after the bank holiday weekend now.
marmalizer
Dabbler

Nudge, Still having the same issue.
Jack007

This is a strange issue especially since what's my IP is showing the UK as the location.
I'm not sure what the Lottery use for the GEO IP stuff, try http://whatismyipaddress.com/ again and make sure it is the UK that shows on your IP.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Seems their 'location software' has not been updated with recently allocated UK IP address ranges.
The English in that e-mail is terrible, and I love the way they blame the ISP rather than themselves.
marmalizer
Dabbler

Well as it's nearly been a month without either party updating their IP location address do-dad.
Would it not be easier to get issued a new static IP that both agree are based within the UK and how do I do that without any further cost to myself?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Apologies for the wait, we've had confirmation that the Geo-location company fixed this on the 5th April, I'd suggest chasing this with National Lottery to see if they have updated there database accordingly.