cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP or Bridge Modem?

incognitii

Static IP or Bridge Modem?

Asked Support the following:
Have Netgear DG834GT modem router. Want to connect DLink DIR 825 Dual Band wireless router to improve laptop speeds and take advantage of N card in laptop. Understand have to configure Netgear as bridge modem before connecting Dlink to WAN port. Internet advice says I have to contact ISP for bridge modem settings. Or do I have static IP? Simplest way would appear to be to set the Netgear to non NAT and another static IP to the DLink. Can You advise?
Got dusted off to Community Forum.  Suspect CSC rep didn't read my query properly.  No info either on Bridge Modem settings.  Have pointed out that Tech info states that all broadband accounts have static IP.  Have gone back and queried whether I can have 2 static addresses before I activate it (would have to turn off NAT in Netgear and use 2 static IPs).  Awaiting response
Can anyone advise?
2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Static IP or Bridge Modem?

I can think of at least two possible ways to do what you want:-
1) Leave the Netgear as modem/router with NAT and DHCP. Connect LAN port to LAN port on DIR825 and disable DHCP on DIR825. It should then just act as a Wireless AP.
2) Set the Netgear into bridge mode ( see here http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=7803 ) , connect to WAN port of DIR825 and configure 825 PPPOE for plusnet username and password.
Hope that helps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

incognitii

Re: Static IP or Bridge Modem?

Many many thanks! Cheesy