cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start up speed

godsona

Start up speed

Start up speed has always been about 1 to 2 minutes. For the last week or so, it has dropped to 15 mins. Any suggestions to rectify this?
16 REPLIES 16
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Start up speed

A little detail about what is starting would help Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
godsona

I am referring to the time between when I switch my pc on, to the time when I can connect to the internet..
Routefinder
Grafter

I think you are going to have to supply more information???
Like is the PC Ethernet connected to the router?
Or are you talking about a wireless connection to the Router?
Do you leave the Router on 24/7 or are you switching that on at the same time as you power up the PC?
etc
Please give as much information as possible in regard to your Internet/Broadband connection and the PC connection(s) without that info your question as way too openended IMO for anyone to aid you or answer meaningfully  Wink 
HTH Huh
godsona

There is a wired connection to the router.
Router is on 24/7, but pc is turned off overnight.
It is only when I turn pc on in the morning that it takes 15 mins to enable me to connect to internet, but this used to take just 1 - 2 mins.
Performance during the rest of the day is good.
PC is about 4 yrs old.
There is a wireless connection to a laptop in another room. There are no slow start-up issues here.
I am not IT literate! If I have to live with a slow start-up from now on, I can adapt to it, but it would be nice to be able to solve it.
Thanks
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

PC start-ups gradually slow down over a period of time (like 4 years) as software is added and more items appear in the start-up procedure.
The ultimate solution is a reinstall of the operating system.
If the start-up speed has 'suddenly' changed recently then it's likely to be something you installed around that time.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

15 MIN, that is terrible. Have a look in the system logs and see if anything is hanging.
Run a compete virus scan on the pc, preferably from a cd version of the virus scanner.
Check the wire from the pc to the router, change it if possible.
How fast does the desktop appear?
For a comparison I have a full desktop with net connectivity in <1min including post scan, and not a sleep image either.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: godsona

It is only when I turn pc on in the morning that it takes 15 mins to enable me to connect to internet, but this used to take just 1 - 2 mins.
I am not IT literate! If I have to live with a slow start-up from now on, I can adapt to it, but it would be nice to be able to solve it.
Thanks

Presumably, from the first sentence quoted here, you have issues with the amount of time the computer needs to "wind itself up" and then after doing that it will connect to the internet....
and not that it takes 15 mins from the end of the "winding up" to connect to the internet...
My suggestion to someone who is not IT literate would be to Download and Install....... CCleaner....run it,  ( it could take some time to clear out the junk of 4 years)... also download and install .......Malwarebytes.... and run that.... again, that may take a few minutes...
on completion... shut down the computer, and re-boot after a short time.
I have suggested this to a couple of "smilar non IT leterate" friends, and they have said it improved the "start up time".
thomasjc1
Grafter

Yes cc cleaner is a brilliant programme. Also what about go into misconfig and uncheck all the things in there from start up time. The only thing I have from start up is my av
http://www.guidingtech.com/247/how-to-speed-up-windows-startup-using-msconfig/
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You are probably using new security software on a computer that is too old to cope with it.  Try temporarily uninstalling your security software and see how much difference that makes.  I mean your Norton or McAfee or whatever it is you use. 
Ccleaner is a fine program but what it can achieve is only tinkering compared to what you need to get 15 minutes back to 2 minutes.
dletter

Before running any tools or removing any applications, the simplest and quickest thing to check is how quickly it starts in safe mode. If it starts normally then you can be reasonably sure it is a software issue, and as others have said it just needs spring cleaning.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'd start by checking the housekeeping basics: disk space and ram usage.
What version of Windows is it using? What Processor is it? How much ram? How big is the hard disk and how full?
What does Task Manager say about memory and swap file?
Sometimes something small can literally be "the straw that breaks the camels back", but start with the fundamentals.
So, what has been changed or upgraded/updated?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Defrag the disk (assuming you have an old fashioned hard disk rather than a SSD).
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Defrag? - I've not done that since we got this machine over two years ago and look:

On NTFS partitions you don't really need to worry about it too much.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

You mean you've not done it manually, but it's been done each week automatically, sometimes in the early hours of the morning when many people's computers won't be switched on.