Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start menu win 7

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Start menu win 7

My sons laptop appears to have gained 4 instances of librarys in the recently opened section of the start menu.  Although there is the option to remove from list on the right click menu, this doesn't seem to have any effect and I cant get rid of them. Searched around and tried a couple of registry tweaks but still nothing.  Is there any way to get rid of them or reset the start menu to defaults.

10 REPLIES 10
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Start menu win 7

Recent Items is a Start Menu feature that is turned off by default in Windows 7.  It is in the right hand column and it shows recently opened files.

Recently opened programs is a start menu feature that is on by default in Windows 7.  It forms the bottom section of the left hand column (above All Programs).

I would not expect either of these to show Libraries.  Is it possible to post a screen shot to better explain the problem?  

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks reed. Will get a shot of the issue tonight and post back. Agree it was difficult to explain the situation. Pictures say a thousand words......
penfold
Aspiring Pro

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Very odd.  Try this:

Right click a blank area of the taskbar and click properties at the bottom of the menu list.

Click the Start menu tab then Customize

Click Use default settings at the bottom left.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks reed. No luck, that didn't do anything. Tried unticking and retickking the 2 check boxes as well. I've deleted the contents of the appropriate folder under users/roaming etc, still nothing. Any suggestions would be very welcome....
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

1. If you create a new user account, does this have the same problem?
  2. If you right click a program and select Pin to Start Menu, where does it appear? 
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi.  Thanks for the ideas chaps. I cant get at the laptop tonight, but will try the suggestions tomorrow night and update.

As an aside, There are 2 accounts on the system, mine, as administrator, and my son, the main user, which is a limited account, and has the issues. My start menu is normal. I suspect it will be fine on a new user account, and if all else fails, I can migrate his data, and create a new user account.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Somehow you have links to libraries in an area dedicated to links to programs.  So who know what other account settings are screwed-up?  Creating a new account and migrating the data is often the easiest way out of such situations.    

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Sorry for the late reply. Nothing worked to be honest, and I have had to delete the account and recreate a new one. Had issues deleting the account  and eventually had to do it in safe mode. Anyhow all now good, and number 1 son has been re-educated....😉😉