cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard text messages via an iPad

Annplumb
Dabbler

Standard text messages via an iPad

Yesterday my iPad and my husbands very old iPad both lost connection to the internet even though our desk top computer was still connected. This lasted for quite some time. Now today, neither iPad can send or receive standard text messages. They will only send or receive iMessages. I can still send and receive standard messages via my iphone but not the tablet.

spoke to Apple they say it’s the phone provider. Phoned the phone provider they say they only deal with phones not tablets so have no idea. I’m completely useless with technology so don’t know where to turn next.

Could it have been caused due to the issue I had earlier with no connection to the internet. Has anyone out there ever experienced something like this and would know how to rectify as I prefer using my tablet as print is larger and easier to read.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Standard text messages via an iPad

@Annplumb I can't give any assurance that this will work but it is worth a try. Totally switch off both iPads, wait a couple of minutes, then restart them. Apple devices sometimes throw the occasional unexplained 'wobbly' which this approach sometimes fixes.

BTW - I have asked for this to be moved to a more appropriate board.

John
Annplumb
Dabbler

Thank you. Unfortunately I did turn off both devises and then re start them and it hasn’t resolved the issue. I’m just not knowledgeable enough to know/understand whether these issues relate to WiFi or the phone network. There has definitely been a problem with our iPads losing the WiFi connection since we moved to super fast broadband. Before that we never had a problem. could it be that the signal isn’t strong enough and needs some sort of booster. Sorry if these questions appear stupid but as mentioned I don’t understand this new technology 😂

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

You could try splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi bands, it helps with Apple products.

Navigate in a web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Click Advanced Settings

Enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Click 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' - I added a '_5' on the end.
Save the changes.

You can then select which one you want per device.

In terms of text messaging I'm assuming that they are cellular iPads, if so have you tried turning off the WiFi on the ipad an trying to send a text?

Customer / Moderator
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

I did not think it was possible to send an SMS txt on a WiFi iPad, however it seems How to Geek knows, and it relies on a connection to an iPhone.

dvorak

Which will rely on the WiFi connection.
See what happens with the split.
Customer / Moderator
Annplumb
Dabbler

It’s not a cellular iPad. It’s just a normal iPad. My iPhone is set to “text message forwarding” so My iPad should be receiving any standard text messages that the iphone receives. Also, my iPad was able to send iMessages and standard text messages. It’s only been today that standard text message receipt/send has stop working. the iMessage facility is still working fine. It’s doing my head in. Everyone is saying it’s not their issue.