Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stack Overflow

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Stack Overflow

Unlike most of you I have no idea what stack overflow means but during the past week I have been getting large black squares on my samsung galaxy tab 16 GB along with the message stack overflow.

So is it a specific program that is causing this and more to the point how do I deal with it ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Stack Overflow

1. Use the Google Play Store and update all the applications.

2. Under Settings, go to About Device and update software, instructions  here

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Think of a stack as like one of one of those cafeteria systems that stacks dinner plates. If you "push" a plate on or "pop" a plate off, the next plate is available at the same vertical height.

Your mobile can store temporary data in a similar way - but your stack can't hold unlimited amounts of data - you have a program error (of some kind).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for that.

Software update was set to automatic but it took ages for the apps to update, I assumed (wrongly) that paid for apps would update automatically.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Yes, I know some apps will automatically update but others never will.

In some cases that is good as you can let other people be guinea pigs by using the latest version. But other  times, a pain.

Hopefully the updates have stopped the stack error messages. If not, please post back here.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if it keeps happening then backup any files /photos from your phone to another device, perform a full factory reset wipe the memory card and then restore from the cloud all your personal stuff then update the device then reinstall all your apps, (they should be in your google play account list) this works best if your at home with wifi switched on and your cloud backups are enabled before you start (so you don't loose phone numbers etc and your not eating away at your data allowance on your contract)

it could be as simple as your phone needs switching off and back on again to perform a full ram refresh it could be something that's running from boot up is hogging memory, it might be something is borked and requires an update to unbork it.

chances are that when you install each of the apps one by one after the factory reset the stack overflow will occure again once you install the offending app, easiest way to test that is to install each one restart the phone use it for a few seconds then install the next one from the list, its a long slow process so best done when you've nothing else to do for the day, when my Lumia phone had a similar problem it was down to one of the built in apps (camera or calendar or something) and there was no fix so I just disabled it until it got updated/

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@nanotm

Thanks for your input but I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tablet and not a phone but I accept your advice would still apply to a tablet.

Fortunately the suggestion made in the earlier post regarding updating of apps seems to have done the trick and the tablet also seems faster and more responsive.