cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Squid Errors on posting to RenaultWind Forum?

mkstevo
Grafter

Squid Errors on posting to RenaultWind Forum?

Hello.
Every now and then (with no pattern that I can see) on trying to make a post or creating a topic on (my own!) the RenaultWind Forum, I receive this error message. I have tried deleting the Forum Cookies, logging out & in again, turning the computer off & on again, but nothing seems to help. Usually it only lasts for one or two days, then everything works... Until the next time.
I see that a similar question was raised in March which was reported to be fixed by PlusNet then.
My main computer is a Mac (OSX 10.6) and I have tried Safari and Firefox, both giving the same error. Does anyone know why?
ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://renaultwind.motionforum.net/posting.forum
The following error was encountered:
* Zero Sized Reply
Squid did not receive any data for this request.
Generated Sun, 31 Oct 2010 17:36:29 GMT by pcl-iwfcache04.plus.net (squid)
6 REPLIES 6
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Squid Errors on posting to RenaultWind Forum?

A little research shows that motionforum.net are a forum hosting provider.
Your traffic passes through the IWF cache. When there are web sites on the same IP address that are listed on the IWF URL list.
I guess that some of the content on other forums hosted by motionforum have attracted an entry on the IWF URL list.
mkstevo
Grafter

Quote from: 565
A little research shows that motionforum.net are a forum hosting provider.
Your traffic passes through the IWF cache. When there are web sites on the same IP address that are listed on the IWF URL list.
I guess that some of the content on other forums hosted by motionforum have attracted an entry on the IWF URL list.

I see. Is there any answer to this?
Other than to move my forum to another host, or to move my ISP away from PlusNet?
Is there any way of having my forum 'whitelisted' perhaps?
avatastic
Grafter

Moving to another forum host is your best choice as 90% of UK providers used the IWF list.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
mkstevo
Grafter

Naturally, that isn't the answer I wanted to hear!
One problem with moving would be that there can be no warranty that another forum host would not become blocked by the IWF, if a hosted forum began posting material that brought them to the attention of the IWF.
MotionForum have a policy for reporting illegal activities on their servers as I would assume all forum hosts do, but there may be times when activity is carried out without their knowledge.
jim:quote
chillypenguin
Grafter

Try choosing a paid for Forum provider where you have to give identification details (Credit card etc) when signing up. As other users are less likely to be posting/allowing content that concerns the IWF.
mkstevo
Grafter

Unfortunately I'm not able to fund a forum as a hobby, no matter how little it may cost.
Sadly if other people persist in hosting unsavoury material (on other forums not related to my own Renault Car based forum) I shall have to delete the entire forum.
It would appear that the selfish actions of a minority may impact on the community spirit of the majority. Was it not always thus?