Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spyware removal programmes

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Spyware removal programmes

I'm a bit curious about spyware remover programmes; I had a popup message from a free spyware programme "Spy Doctor" that was bundled (I think it came with the bundled Google toolbar, but maybe wrong about that) with this new PC. it reported an alarming number of dangerous items following it's hidden scan. Just for devilment I ran a full scan with my much recommended (and paid for) "Spynomore" which found...nothing. I re-ran the Spy Doctor, which reported back with the same list of spyware to be removed, which I did this time (having cancelled the previous report)
How can one programme find so much, and another (allegedly better) find nothing? Both had very recently been updated from their respective websites 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES 6
God
Grafter

Re: Spyware removal programmes

Spyware Doctor will report a lot of trivial items found in your temporary internet folder.
If you are concerned about these low level threats then you should clean out that folder regularly. You can do this either using ccleaner or your browser tools menu, or Spyware Doctor will remove the ones it picks up.
On the other hand you can change a setting in Spyware Doctor ‘Include information only low level threats in scan results’ and you won’t see them reported anymore.
petlew
Pro

Thank you. So Spynomore remains the programme of choice then?
(the recommendations came from the pages of this forum)

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
God
Grafter

I have used Spybot Search and Destroy which is good. I am currently using Spyware Doctor ‘Starter edition’ which is the same as you have, and yes it is delivered as part of the free Google software pack.
I believe the only differences between the Starter and full (paid for version) are less frequent automatic updates (although you can update manually any time you want), and this version does not include real time scanning.
I haven’t used Spynomore so can’t comment on it.
petlew
Pro

I had Spybot (which is also free if I recall) on my previous PC along with Spynomore, I haven't decided whether to add yet another spyware removal pogramme. I suppose there's no harm in it, especially if they consistently bring in different results. I also use Regcure.

God
Grafter

Personally I think one decent one is enough. I have anti-virus, anti spyware and  firewall software running alongside Secunia and Winpatrol Pro. That seems to cover my security paranoia quite nicely. I like to save some processing power for other tasks! Roll_eyes
samuria
Grafter

As mentioned on the forums before try winpatrol from
http://www.winpatrol.com/
Its doesnt scan for spyware but it stops any changes to your system which in effect block99% of spyware. Its better to stop it and not waste time trying to get rid of it.
It does a lot of other clever thing as well and it will top services better than task manager. I have stopped spyware when TM refused to stop it