Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotted at an unrelated site - check your accounts

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Spotted at an unrelated site - check your accounts

I received this morning a notice of $899.99 charge from iTunes. I called Apple. They admit it was spam, and the helpdesk lady I spoke with admitted it was from iTunes. She acknowledged that Apple iTunes had been hacked. Anybody checking? If anyone could confirm, I’d appreciate it.
6 REPLIES 6
IanSn
Rising Star

Re: Spotted at an unrelated site - check your accounts

I don't understand this post, Jim. Where's the quote come from?
Is it related to the link I posted the other day on a different thread? ( https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2665383)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I didn't see that link.
It came from a climate sceptic site but with no means of actually linking to the actual post so I didn't link to the site as you would never find the post but it was posted today http://wattsupwiththat.com/tips-and-notes-3/ by  Lonnie E. Schubert at August 20, 2012 at 7:38 am
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Why post it in this forum Jim?
Surely itunes is more used by M$ users?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I don't use iTunes but I thought that was a MAC product with a lot of downloads on iPhones and iPads etc.
But I am willing to be corrected as I know nuthin  Embarrassed about such things
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

AFAIK, itunes makes use of quicktime - which is rarely runable on Linux.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

IanSn
Rising Star

Well, its an Apple product, pre-installed on Macs, used with your iPod, but pretty ubiquitous on PCs, too.
(I know someone who runs Linux and uses iTunes so there's a workaround there...)
Spotify will look for an iTunes library first thing, and most apps that play downloaded tracks assume you have an iTunes account to buy from whatever the platform.
This hack - seems it comes from China most cases - is certainly an issue. Its been running for about 18 months. Check that forum link if you're concerned, its currently running at about 116 pages...
To be safe - don't register your CC number with them. Type it in each time you buy - this includes the AppStore, btw.