Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split Terminal View on iMac

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Split Terminal View on iMac

On my Mac I use Terminal every day, but to cut down on the clutter I'd like to use a split terminal.

When I click the split terminal icon on the horizontal scroll bar I do get a split view but everything I do in one terminal is echoed in the other making the process pointless, so I can't help but think I am missing something here.

Does anyone know how, without installing third party software, I can get two (or more) distinct terminals in a single windowed instance.

9 REPLIES 9
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Split Terminal View on iMac

@Mook Presumably you have tried to open a second terminal from the "panel" Icon.. or ... maybe there is another "terminal" icon that can be got from the "Add to panel".. ( assuming of course that system is available on the MAC machine... )

Works for me on my Mint install..  !

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Can you show me an example @shutter please.

shutter
Community Veteran

P1090956 terminals .jpg

@Mook 

OK... the above picture shows... on the left half... two separate Terminal screens, opened from the (normal) Terminal icon on the "Panel).. the right half shows the "Add to panel" menu, as obtained by right clicking on the panel,. and choosing "Add to panel" from the pop up menu.

By adding the "Command" ( as indicated) it will give you an additional "Terminal" icon on the panel...  In other words , a duplicate, or alternative of the original Terminal Icon . 

I could, of course.. have as man terminal screens on show at any time, by this method... how it would actually work..( i.e. doing different commands to each terminal, I am not sure... but..... )

Mook
Seasoned Champion

I thought you were going to post some thing like that @shutter but I thought I'd give you the benefit of doubt. That's not what I want, I can easily do that using ⌘+N for a new Terminal or ⌘+T for an new Tab, but these are in separate windows I want something like this:

Split-Terminal.png

But as you can see they echo each other and render the process pointless.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook Ah Well...................  Roll_eyes

You can resize them and put one on top of the other... ( or stack even more on top  ! ! !) ..Cheesy

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Hee hee, now there's an idea Grin

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook      Two terminals .... Full Screen

TWIN TERMINALS.png

Four Terminals..   Full Screen 

TERMINAL FOUR.png

You should be able to change the background colour/opacity by right clicking on each terminal, and then on the top menu click on "Terminal"  then "Background" ..

Could be useful if you are using several different terminals for different jobs...

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for that @shutter, but as I said this is not what I want. I can easily create what you have shown and in fact that is how I use my terminals now as I have no other option.

I want to create a single Terminal window and split it as shown above. So in the top window I can start process A then tail its log file. Then in the terminal below I can start process B and tail its log. This will allow me to view both outputs at once within a single window.

Having investigated further it would appear that my options for this are limited as I need to install a terminal multiplexer or use third party software such as iTerm2, so I'll go down this route.

Mook
Seasoned Champion

OK I've resolved this by installing iTerm2 and it does exactly what I need as you can see from this:

iTerm2.png