Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed difference XP/ Lnux

paulh
Rising Star

Speed difference XP/ Lnux

Hmm here's a conundrum
I'm on holiday at a cottage with internet acces via a homeplug system.
I have my lappy with me and can dual boot between XP HomeSP3  and Puppy Linux
I have no access to the routers or rest of the LAN.
The ADSL connection is at the end of a Very Long Line but functions OK at c.384kbps  download
When I connect using my laptop at home there are no problems.
Here however , XP is unusably slow in browsing while Linux is perfectly acceptable (given the line speed)
All firewalled and avg'd and checked for spyware etc using AdAware and Spybot S&D under XP by the way and I'm a careful user ... never had any malware yet
SO ,,, any suggestions ?
7 REPLIES 7
samuria
Grafter

Re: Speed difference XP/ Lnux

There could be loads of reasons like
AV scanning slows it down
Win Updates
MTU
Is the browser the same IE Firefox if not browser is another one
If you ping say 195.102.241.11    from Linux and XP is the results the same?
Lan Drivers
paulh
Rising Star

mmm i think you've missed the point ... let me spell it out ... it is one laptop; the laptop is identical at home and on  holiday; the xp is identical; the linux is identical. 
the network it  is attached to has however changed,but the network performance of xp has collapsed while that of linux has not.
i have taken account of all the things that samuria has offered - i'm not a computer novice.
now,any furher suggestions?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: paulh
i have taken account of all the things that samuria has offered - i'm not a computer novice.

So what browsers ARE you using?
paulh
Rising Star

opera on both
James
Grafter

Seriously, try setting the MTU to 1430 on both the router and the desktop.  I'm not sure if you can do that on Linux.
The fact that the XP laptop works fine at home might be something to do with the MTU setting on the router, or if you have configured your laptop for use (rWin?) on a connection with a different speed?
paulh
Rising Star

ahhhh  thanks james ... i had neglectd to consider that my rwin is optimised for my home connection and that the most effective value will vary depndent on line speed; so i will try that and report back, although it wouldn;t epxlain why i was here only a month ago and had no problems of this type Sad
asi mentioned inmy first post,i've no access to the router(s) here so all i can do is make changes to my laptop configuration.
the linux kernel btw should dynamically adjust rwin and mtu (allegedly) and not require human intervention.
paulh
Rising Star

Ok  ... I reduced my rwin using drtcp to a figure in the range suggested by the tweaktest at dslreports.com  and restarted networking/
things seem to have improved substantially even in this mid-evening period when things are sluggish up here anyway
thanks for the pointer james