cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Tests and Pn Traffic Management

thisoldman
Grafter

Speed Tests and Pn Traffic Management

The other night i was having some touble  streaming a video. It simply stuttered along.  Out  of curiosity, i ran a few speed tests and was amazed that they all reported that my speed was approx 5.9mb. This is what i usually get from Pn.
The question then arose in my mind :  accepting Pn's  traffic  management policies, is it not possible to discover the throttled download speed, as opposed to the  normal Pn line speed?
It seems crazy to get a speedtest reading of 5.9mb whilst a video stutters and stammers.
2 REPLIES 2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed Tests and Pn Traffic Management

Hi Thisoldman,
We publish all the rate limits and the times they're applied on our website - you can read the details for extra here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#extraSpeeds
Hope that helps,
minisara

Re: Speed Tests and Pn Traffic Management

There can be other reasons for this too. I stream A LOT of television and movies online and there are four reasons why it was stuttering and stammering for you.
1/ Internet speed.
2/ You hadn't given it time to buffer.
3/ You had let it buffer, and closed your laptop lid or your laptop or desktop went into sleep mode and when you woke it up thus commences the stuttering and stammering.
4/ It was a bad upload.