cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specifying an IP address

OoolayziiBooYoo

Specifying an IP address

Hey, this is a general query. My ISP is Plusnet, I'm aware that Plusnet offer dynamic and static IP addresse and these IP's are DHCP server assigned. However I was wondering is there's any way of having more control over the IP I recieve, as I would like to have a certain IP within a certain range of number (if available.) Does anyone know a methods of doing this, or can Plusnet help me with this?  Wink
11 REPLIES 11
samuria
Grafter

Re: Specifying an IP address

Generally if you have a fixed ip its still DHCP assigned but you get it every time you log on you cant as far as i am aware pick your own and any ip must be within the range used by Plus net. Maybe Plus net staff can answer it better but I would very much doubt it
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You have no control over what IP you get if you ask for a static IP. It just gets allocated by PN from a pool of static IPs available.
Why do you want to pick a specific IP address? Knowing this we may be able to advise further.
chillypenguin
Grafter

This came up a few months back, its about some game that uses the users IP address to work out who wins in a fight.
scootie
Grafter

the only problem i see with that game is if it works your past history of win/lose stats from your ip.
If its just to work out the current winner of a fight and no history is saved then what diffrence would having a dynamic ip be as it will still be the same why you play.
Plus the OP wants to know if its possable to have dynamic ip in a certain range so dosent seem botherd if its not the same other wise static would of done.
Shed some light on on the reason you want a certain dynamic ip range OP ?
OoolayziiBooYoo

Ok guys thanks for the feedback. Well the reasons I'm asking this is because I'm currently studying an honours degree in computing & networking, and am doing research on IP addresses etc. (I dont want to bore you with the stuff I'm doing)
In relevance to some of your comments, I'm pretty sure Plusnet has the IP ranges I would like.
I don't want one specific IP, it can be a range of numbers, I'll offer some examples. (these are the last two prefixes) (0.0) (0.1) (8.0) (8.1) (16,0) etcf.. as you can see there's a pattern.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: OoolayziiBooYooO
Ok guys thanks for the feedback. Well the reasons I'm asking this is because I'm currently studying an honours degree in computing & networking, and am doing research on IP addresses etc. (I dont want to bore you with the stuff I'm doing)

Can't your place of study provide the means to carry out the research you're doing?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You can ask PN for a block of IP addresses but again you cannot specify what they are, you just get what is next in the IP pool.
You can get a block of 4 (2 usable) or 8 (6 usable) IPs but of the usable IPs one is automatically assigned to your router so you only have 1 or 5 spare to play with. The remaining two are your network address and broadcast address. If you really have a very good case you might be able to get a block of 16 (14 usable) but it is very rare that PN will allocate such a large number.
Finally, not all plusnet packages allow static IPs.
jamessealey
Grafter

In relevance to some of your comments, I'm pretty sure Plusnet has the IP ranges I would like.
I don't want one specific IP, it can be a range of numbers, I'll offer some examples. (these are the last two prefixes) (0.0) (0.1) (8.0) (8.1) (16,0) etcf.. as you can see there's a pattern.

You don't really explain why you would need an ISP to supply these specific IP addresses. Is it feasible to have these setup locally? ie network two PCs together on a LAN, setup DHCP and specify the range of IPs the DHCP server can issue to the other machine accross the LAN?
Surely if you are experimenting and peforming research it is more wise to perform this research in a controlled and secure environment - a LAN - and not via your ISP?
J
MrC
Grafter

Interesting requirement Smiley
Do these allocations have to be of publically routed IP addresses? If not, why not investigate setting up a gateway box running dhcpd behind which runs a private network. Then configure dhcpd to offer your client box(es) on the private network with IP addresses of your choice (eg in Unix dhcpd v3 by using the fixed-addresses declaration). You could then use NAT either at the boundary router or the gateway (or they could be the same box) if you need the clients to be able to access, or be accessed by, internet hosts.
Mike
chillypenguin
Grafter

I'm currently studying an honours degree in computing & networking, and am doing research on IP addresses etc. (I dont want to bore you with the stuff I'm doing)

Please do, I for one would be interested.
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

...Well the reasons I'm asking this is because I'm currently studying an honours degree in computing & networking...

And you haven't touched on how global IP addressing is handled by ISP's? Shocked
Think about it, what would happen if three of the .x.x address you perticularly want happend to be already assigned to another subscriber?
Not to mention that the likelyhood of .x.0 and .x.1 not being reserved is fairly slim.
Personaly I think your backing a looser on this one.