cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speakers

valart
Grafter

Speakers

I have a Toshiba laptop and most of the time I have it plugged in to my two speakers my problem is the sound quality is not very good because the sound is coming out of the stereo speakers of my laptop,can I mute my laptop speakers and just have the sound coming from my sepperate speakers.
4 REPLIES 4
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Speakers

:That is strange.... When I plug my speakers into my `phone socket, the laptop speakers are muted.... ( same as when I plug my `phones in )
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

That's the thing - a headphone socket is not necessarily the same things as a line out socket. The former usually has a volume control and shuts off the internal speakers whereas the latter is a fixed level (for external control/amplification) and would usually run alongside the internal speakers - turning the volume down on the laptop should only affect the volume of the laptop speakers.
Valart, can you describe exactly how you've got yours configured and described the setup in more detail?
mushy
Grafter

As above, most toshiba laptops only have headphone socket and not line out and by default mute the internal speakers when something in plugged into the headphone socket unless it is not detecting the speakers properly.
What model is it and which operating system are you on ?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I got a toshiba netbook which has a piece of software to recognise when the earphone jack is used (which would suggest the OS doesn't natively support or recognise it).
Software is by Realtek and doesn't seem to have a name as its installed in the control panel as its own applet. Maybe thats what is missing on yours? It automatically switches (though you have to confirm by clicking ok) to the earphone socket when you plug something in.
As for the speakers, I don't know about your lappie but my netbooks are awful. Not only are they tiny but they're underneath it so the netbook itself muffles its own sound. I had to buy one of these to make it hearable lol:

It's not that big and can be powered either from batteries or usb. I remember seeing them in Tesco for £12 and thinking I'd never pay that. Then I realised I needed one, rushed back and they'd all gone  Angry Found mine on ebay and got it at a bargain price - £4.20 + £3 P&P which was a bargain!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!