Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speakers crackle, hardware of software issue

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Speakers crackle, hardware of software issue

Think I know this is a hardware issue, but thought I would ask advice. After having to reformat my laptop, after an issue with a wireless mini PCI card completely cocking up my system, that was working Ok before hand, after the reinstall, the (L) speaker now has an annoying crackle on it, that it didnt have before. I have uninstalled the Device, and the drivers, and reinstalled, but still there. Not as bad a crackle with CDs and DVDs, but still there. I was pretty sure this was a codec issue, as I had not done anything to the system, that should damage 1 speaker, but I have plugged in a set on headphones, and all was well.  The crackle only comes on deeper bass tones, like the end of the XP Windows Logon and logoff sounds, and initially I thought it was confined to windows sounds, as DVDs didnt seem affected, but on further testing they are, as are audio CDs, and ones either ripped to MP3 or WAV. One thing I did notice, wasa that I would only uninstall the avance AC97 audio device, and not any other devices in the sounds in device manager ( see screenshot), which made me wonder about a codec or driver issue. Dont seem to be able to find updated drivers for this.  Thing that annoys me, it was fine before the reinstall, and after had a speaker crackle. i was going to reinstall XP, just on the off chance I had a slightly corrupt install.  Anyone any other ideas, or is it a Speaker problem. If so, will see if I can find a system on e-bay for parts.
24 REPLIES 24
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Speakers crackle, hardware of software issue

Can you connect the speakers "the wrong way round"  ?  i.e. Left speaker to right channel, and right speaker to left channel....  If crackle disappears from left speaker (now replaced by "good" right speaker) then you can probably assume it is a hardware fault.... i.e speaker.
Wink
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Not without pulling the thing to bits I suspect.  Is there a windows trick for this?Huh
Here is the screengrap, of the audio devices, only thing that can be uninstalled is the AC97 audio.
shutter
Community Veteran

I assumed you were talking about "external" wired speakers....  ?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Nah,  its a satellite laptop, and the issue is with the internal speakers.  I can pull the thing to bits, as I have done on a couple of occasions, to replace the MOBO, and then again to put the HDD caddy back in properly Roll_eyes ::).  They are pretty easy to get at, but dont want to do it, unless i have some new ones.  Anyone know where to get new ones from, or it it surf E-bay time!!!
shutter
Community Veteran

When you did your "rebuild" (!) could it be possible that you had to remove the plug connection to the speakers?  Could you have had to exert a little more pull than usual.? could you have damaged the solder connection to the mobo? a dry or broken joint on the connector, could cause a high resistance point, and thus cause the "crackle" , alternatively, you could have a "large" bit of something or other that has slipped into the speaker grille, and when the bass notes are vibrating the speaker, it would sound like crackling as the large bit bounces about !... just guessing  Wink
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Have you tried plugging in a pair of headphones?
Sorry...just read your full original post
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

but I have plugged in a set on headphones, and all was well.

I think he tried that, Strat !  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran

Stuck my head out of the trench again Angry
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Yep, tried headphones, and they work perfectly OK.
@shutter,  Dont think I was too harsh. This has happened, after the 2nd reinstall, after a disaster with the mini PCI wireless card, that stuffed up the network settings so much, and as I had nothing else on the system, I redid the install again, so this problem is after the 1st install after the rebuild. After 1st Install, untill the WIFI card issue, all was well.  ( does that make any sense at all :o). May strip the thing down again and take a good look at the speakers. If they seem Ok, not sure what to do Embarrassed
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Sorry strat replied as you did!!
shutter
Community Veteran

Still sounds like a "dodgy" connection either on the speaker end, or on the mobo board end... Can`t see software "doing in" only one channel, as I would suspect it is the circuit of the sound output that controls what goes to which channel. I think you will have to take it to bits, and get a good powerful magnifying glass out, go over the whole circuit board, and look for hairline cracks in the soldering/printed circuit.... If you can get the speakers out, you could then swap them over to see if it is the speaker .... if it was a circuit fault, then it would still come out of the left speaker... Undecided
Strat
Community Veteran

It's certainly pointing to a speaker problem as shutter says and you said headphone output is ok.
Usually there is no electronics between the headphone socket and the speaker terminals to cause a problem so a strip down seems likely.
shutter
Community Veteran

noted  Roll_eyes
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Yeah (sigh!!).  I have just found some on E-Bay, but they are 18quid.  Only think I can think of is after the WIFi issue, I reinstalled, but for some reason ended up with a C: partition that was the system partition and a 😧 partition which was the boot partition. ( Drive was orig partitioned into a C: and a 😧 backup). Couldnt change the drive letters as XP wouldnt let me, and I had no idea how this happened. So I hoisted the laptop up to the loft, where to router is, so I could plug in directly, and transferred everything off the backup partition ( now C: for some odd reason), and then completely flattened the drive, and reinstalled onto the full drive. It is after this reinstall, that the issues showed up. I wonder if I could have dislodged/damaged something when i went up into the attic space, dont recall manhandling it, but is a slight possibility maybe. ( I will get around one of these days to wiring up some ethernet points in the bedrooms, but a bit difficult at min as wife redecorating no.1 sons new room!!!). Anyhow I will dismantle this W/end, and see where we are. I am leaning more toward a damaged speaker rather than a MOBO issue, but we will see.  Thanks for the advice guys, will let you know.