Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speaker/Volume control "M.I.A"

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Speaker/Volume control "M.I.A"

Somehow, I have lost the speaker/volume control icon, on the lower panel on my Linux Mint 19.1 laptop.

I have tried to  " add to panel"...but it does not appear in the listing

I have used the terminal ..  

apt install --reinstall xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin

But... that does not re-instate the speaker... and Pulse Audio is already available in the Main Menu. 

clicking on it, does not give the option to add the Speaker/Volume control icon to the panel,

Pics are taken from my other laptop to clarify which one I am talking about.

P1090474 speaker icon 1.jpg

P1090475 speaker icon 2.jpg

P1090476  speaker icon 4.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Speaker/Volume control "M.I.A"

Have you checked out Preferences -> Applets?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@VileReynard   I`ve checked out so many things... been in contact with some guy in germany and he has been giving me a lot of terminal stuff to do... think that has cleared out a lot of unnecessary stuff, but did not solve the problem... however, while I was having lunch...he searched for help on the Linux Mint forums, and sent me about 10 pages  (urls) to have a read through.. and , as luck would have it...number four

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=295921&p=1646209&hilit=sound+icon+sound+icon+disap...

gave this short terminal command...   apt install plasma-pa/xenial

And instantly ( after my password authenticating ) the speaker icon re-appeared where it should be.. and works... as it did before..

SO>..very happy chappy ! ! ..

(Thanks for your interest Wink )

@Mook   just a notification for you !   cheers ! 

VileReynard
Hero

Possibly a bit dodgy that...

If you are using Mint 19.1 then AFAIK the KDE DE (as indicated by plasma-pa) is not available on this release - although it was available on Mint 18.x

However, since you reinstalled a xfce package I assume you are using Mint 19.x ?

Xenial is the Ubuntu 16.04 version, used by Mint 18.x

Mint 19.1 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 - but is due for a major upgrade to Mint 20.0 in the next couple of months.

So it might get auto-fixed properly soon.😀

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   Well, I must eat some `umble pie..... cos that fix did not last very long... I played a music video, and it worked a treat.... went and made a cup of tea.. to de-stress.. and when I had finished it... the darn thing had disappeared again...never to return.. ( at the moment... )   plasma.pa did install... and having read about a different icon/volume control... that worked in the same way... Volti... thought I would give that a try... on the way there. I noticed a comment that someone had "volumeicon-alsa"... so I looked that up on the Package Manager... and....

volume sys tray alsa.jpg

It seems to be installed.... so ... why is it not showing on the systray panel?   how do I get it to show ?

I installed Volti from the package manager...but, although that doe show an icon, when you click on it... it explodes like a cloud of dust... and nothing else happens... if you hover the mouse nothing happens..

so I have removed the icon from the systray panel...

( I have also made the panel transparent 50% to see if the icon is hidden.. but no....it`s just not there at all ) .

VileReynard
Hero

I'm unclear what kind of desktop you are running.

Could you post the output of the following command?

inxi -b

You might need to install the inxi package, but worth it if you need to send info about your CPU. It has many options.

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa  Mate

can`t do the inxi thing cos I`m on another computer at the moment...

here is the inxi -b

inxi -b.jpg

VileReynard
Hero

Have you checked your list of autostart entries?

Accessed via Control Center or preferences or whatever...

I found this image - not 100% if it belongs to Mate.

341x501.png

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard    just done a screen shot of mine...

as you can see.... no volume control listed   

startup list.jpg

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

What's the output of running

mate-volume-control-applet &

in a terminal?

shutter
Community Veteran

@TheRoadCrew  Thanks for that.... the situation is.... I have "given up" on getting it working ... !

Instead I have another HDD and installing Mint 19.1  and Wine etc ... been doing that for the past couple of days..

(Installing wine 5.0 was a nightmare... broken packages, that would not repair.. straight from the new install) so reverted to usiing the simplest of all installs... Wine Installer  ..( which installe WINE4.0 with no problems) 

Why can`t they just keep it simple like that, instead of having all this Terminal stuff to do ?

Eventually, when I have finished this HDD..I wil re-clone it to the other HDD and all will be well again.. ! ( hopefully) 

Incidentally... there is still no mention of a Volume Control in the Add to panel list...

Not sure if an update has "borked" that Add to panel, thing though... because I used to use "Windows List" on the lower panel,... tried adding it to the new install.. but it does not show... and all open pages are listed across the panel... squashed up tight so you cannot identify them ....

VileReynard
Hero

Have you considered trying the "live" boot - just running from a USB key and trying to figure out where the volume control came from?

I never install Wine as its the only software that has 'difficulties'.

Can't imagine why.

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   The problem has taken up so much of my time trying to solve it... I have given up ...

Might put the old HDD  back in... and see what happens with the USB install stick .

As regards the "borking" of "Add to Panel".... that was my mistake... I chose the wrong "windows applet"  it now works properly.

Wine works a treat... when it installs properly ... just that new version had a "broken package" that would not "repair" .. so I went for the "wine installer" route, and it was magic. !

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

@shutter wrote:

Incidentally... there is still no mention of a Volume Control in the Add to panel list..

Playing with Mint / MATE from USB stick...

The default bluetooth, WiFi, volume control, and battery applets are added to the panel as one - first add the Notification Area from Add to panel and then add Indicator Applet Complete.

(tested by creating a new (empty) panel and deleting the original)

If you lose one of them I'm guessing an individual applet has crashed.

shutter
Community Veteran

@TheRoadCrew   Thanks.... I have now got everything "back to normal" on a new install of Mint19.1   Virtual box 6.1  and extension... usb devices recognised.. and printer running on WIFI from the virtual box 

I think the original, was , as you suggest... borked, ! .

Wink