cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Filter add in for MS Outlook 2000

Andy_P
Dabbler

Spam Filter add in for MS Outlook 2000

Is anyone able to recommend a spam filter add in for MS Outlook.  My Dad uses Outlook 2000 and his ISP is dial up PAYG Tiscali so he doesn’t benefit from the PN spam filter or the one built in to Outlook 2003.
I have tried Spam Fighter but this seemed to cause havoc with Outlook when trying to perform a “send and receive”, causing it Outlook to hang.
I have thought about setting up a PN account form him and forwarding his Tiscali mail to his PN account but it will be too much for him to troubleshoot if something goes wrong ! !
Any suggestions are most welcome.
4 REPLIES 4
Andy_P
Dabbler

Re: Spam Filter add in for MS Outlook 2000

Thanks PJ - I'll try it out. 
providing his Tiscali is downloaded via POP3 (IIRC this is al Tiscali offer)

I think his mail is downloaded by POP3 but am not too sure.
grimme
Grafter

At home with Outlook 2000 I use K9 and have been for a couple of years now.
http://keir.net/k9.html
It does need some training to begin with as with most of these products.
Andy_P
Dabbler

Thanks grimme - I'll try it out too.
I also make sure that I post some feedback for others too.
Andy_P
Dabbler

As promised here are my thoughts on MailWasher and K9
With regard to accuracy in identifying Spam I think they are about equal.  You can also train / intervene in order to improve the accuracy of them.
MailWasher  - you have to run that program first to clear any Spam on the server before doing a good old fashioned ‘Send and Receive’ in Outlook.  If you don’t then all the Spam is delivered to your inbox.  On the plus side it means the Spam is deleted from the server and never makes it to your PC.
K9 - once you have changed the settings in Outlook and set up a rule in Outlook to move the Spam to designated folder then there is nothing more you need do.  This is perfect for my Dad as I set it up for him and now he doesn’t need to do a thing.
Overall then – I have to say for me K9 was the better of the two.  Still not as good as having a filter on the server as provided by PlusNet though.