Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SoundBlaster Audigy no 5.1

Mav
Fixes: 515

SoundBlaster Audigy no 5.1

Hi
After upgrading from 1GB RAM to 3GM I cannot get outof the 2/2.1 setting in SoundBlaster Audigy.
The connection from the card to the 5.25 bay box did get disconnected but I reseated it and sound seems fine.
Any ideas as to what may be goiung wrong and how I can rectify it?
XP Home SP2
Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: SoundBlaster Audigy no 5.1

I had exactly that problem after doing some fiddling with my PC.
Did a full reinstall of the drivers which didn't fix it.
But then <embarrass mode on> I found that the green connector to the speakers was half out of the socket. Put it in properly and everything was back to normal
Mav

Thanks for that but, as I have just moved the PC across to the other side of the room and reconnected everything (checked again now, just in case) all's well in that department.
Any other ideas?
I did install install two new DVD RW's (well, one brand new and one from my wife's PC as I upgraded her drive) plus installed PowerDVD that came with my nnew drive. Have now uninstalled that as it appeared to interfere with Nero ShowTime.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Oldjim
Resting Legend

You could try reinstalling the latest Audigy drivers
Mav

OK
Worth a try.
I'll unistall first then re-install.
I'll let you know result later.

Mav

Uninstalled then re-installed the entired creative suite from the original CD.
Ran a speaker test, you know the one that has the voice saying 'Front Left, Front right', etc and all seemed fine.
Tried the same test a second time, without any changes or doing anything else at all, and all I got was hissing rather than a voice.
Checked with som music in both WMP and Winamp and it sounded distorted and broken.
Unistalled and re-installed with same result.
Anyone any ideas as to what may be going on here?
Thanks

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Probably won't show up anything but have you tried running Creative Diagnostics
Mav

Hi Oldjim
You're absolutely right - showed nothing!
Anyway, opened up PC reseated all connectionds, disconnected the digital cnnection from the Soundblaster audigy to one of the DVD Drives, uninstalled all creative software, regedit to rid of any Creative stuff, reboot, re-install...
...same problem.
Did  the above 4 times, lost lots of hair and still the same. Went on to Creayive Labs site, followd through their support before emailing and checked the settings from Control Panel-Sounds & Audio Devices. Clicked advanced under Speaker Settings and saw it was set to Desktop Stereo Speakers. Set this to 5.1 and all seemed OK.
Halfway through typing this it went back to getting just hissing!
The card is almost 6 years old. Maybe time to replace it Angry
Edit: Can't be the speaker connections as the headphones are affected, too. The headphones are connected to the box at the front.

Mav

Hi
In attempting to check the firmware version of the new DVD drive I found that it was set for a Digital connection so unset this.
Unfortunately I also upgraded to the latest Audigy drivers from Creative before testing the audio. Now it works but I cannot be sure which of the two proceedures above solved the issue.
Anyway, it works Smiley