cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound card.

seanbranagh
Grafter

Sound card.

Anyone got rcomendations for a reasonably priced sound card with good quality powerful output on the analogue line out?
I have always used a fairly good pair of corded headphones for my computer connected to the line out. I never use speakers. My old motherboard (Abit NF7) had onboard NVIDIA audio and it was very good for this purpose. My new motherboard (Asus M3N78) has VIA HD Audio onboard. I find the sound to be lacking bass, and overall quality when using the headphones in the line out. Any recomendations?
7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Sound card.

How about using (powered) speakers and plugging your headphones into the speakers?
This seems to give O.K. sound - although obviously not hifi quality!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

seanbranagh
Grafter

I like using headphones directly into the line out cos it gives me the best possible quality. Running through another amplifer (in powered speakers) will only make the poor quality worse.
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: Sean
Anyone got rcomendations for a reasonably priced sound card with good quality powerful output on the analogue line out?
I have always used a fairly good pair of corded headphones for my computer connected to the line out. I never use speakers.

But aren't the lineout's just 600 ohm circuits with a nominal 0dBm output , maybe 6dBm at most?.
have you tried http://www.maplin.co.uk/ - they have a store in Belfast too. ?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

saw a USB device in Aldi today, didnt pay to much attention to it £14.95.  had switchable out put for speaker or Earphone with a Vol control and looked like two other USB out, hadnt seen it on there fliers
seanbranagh
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z

have you tried http://www.maplin.co.uk/ - they have a store in Belfast too. ?

Used to be a manager in one of the Belfast stores. Grin
I know what different cards are available. Just trying to find out if anyone has had good or bad experiences with different cards using them the same way I do.
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: Sean

Used to be a manager in one of the Belfast stores. Grin

Oh well - we know who to ask now then  Grin Grin
StickyMick
Grafter

I'm currently using a Creative Audigy 4 Gold card. A nice rich sound from them. But there's a rather annoying problem with them. Only happens once in a blue moon, but when it does it's still annoying. Windows tends to kick it out of action, requiring me to pull the drivers and re-install them to get it working again.
The media-player that you use could make a big difference to the quality of sound you get as well.
Also bearing in mind that headphones are generally a non-amplified output, being so close to the ear they don't need it, so the quality of those can make a difference also.