Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound card not working

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Sound card not working

Yesterday I tried to add a Bluetooth headset to my HP laptop.  I now wish I had not.
The headset did not work, but after that I had no sound either.  I suspect it was Bluetooth which corrupted something because I had watched a video perfectly well the night before.  In Device Manager, the Conexant AC-Link Audio states "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
I have deleted the driver and there are no other sound drivers.  But re-installing makes no difference at all.  I have been through the HP Help Desk and downloaded the drivers again and re-installed them, but still no difference.
I have tried to RESTORE to an earlier restore point, but surprisingly, whenever it tries to do so, I get a message saying that Restore could not restore the settings, and no changes were made.  I have tried five or six different restore points, but to no avail.  I have run several registry cleaners, and I have also tried to import back-up copies of the registry, all withoul success - I get the message that some settings were open and could not be imported !
I seem to be facing a re-build because I have run out of ideas.  Before I pull the plug and face three days re-installation work (!), does anyone have any other possible solution ?
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Sound card not working

try a restore in safe mode
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just a daft question but have you checked the default sound playback device in Control Panel?
It could be set to the blue-tooth device rather than your sound card.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shermans
Pro

Good idea, thanks.  I will try restore in Safe mode and report back.
As for sounds in Contrl Panel, that's the first place I loked, but the sounds setting is greyed out and cannot be accessed.  Thanks for the suggestion.
shermans
Pro

Old Jim
You are a Saint !  It worked.  What great advice.  Thank you so much.  Smiley Smiley
Have you thought about turning your attention to Global Warming ?   I am sure you would have a solution !  Wink
Actualy, in Safe Mode, I first tried to uninstall the sound driver and then re-install it, and it worked first time.  So there was no need to restore.  But having upset so many of the registry settings I am now going to restore to last week's settings - in Safe Mode !
Thanks again; I really appreciate it.
Nick
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: shermans
Have you thought about turning your attention to Global Warming ?   I am sure you would have a solution !  Wink
Unfortunately I don't believe in it - the bit about it all being our fault that is.  Grin
shermans
Pro

I do in fact have some sympathy with that view but fear it may be wishful thinking.  I remain anyway still to be convinced.
Obviously, something about both of us living in the Dorset !