cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony smart TV connection failures

dplusr
Dabbler

Sony smart TV connection failures

We've just bought a Sony KDL40RD453BU smart TV, and I cannot get it to connect to the Internet. It gets a local connection just fine (IP address assigned, shows up on router as an attached device), but the Internet connection is always shown on the TV as "failed". My working assumption was that the TV wasn't getting DNS; I usually configure remote DNS servers locally on the device, but the TV (on auto config) picks up both IP and DNS, and uses the router as a DNS server.

I can swap to manual configuration, but then I'm not sure that the TV is talking to the router at all - can't see it listed as attached - but at least the DNS servers are the external ones!

We have a Hub Zero router (Sagem 2704N). I've spent ages playing with it, and even found my way into the expert user interface, which I didn't know about previously, but no joy. Finally, I tried attaching a second, spare router and setting up a separate subnet, routing traffic via the Hub Zero - the aim being to try the TV on a different router without messing up the rest of the network. Still no access for the TV (although the set-up worked - I've done it before for other reasons - because I tested it with a PC with wi-fi disabled).

Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Sony smart TV connection failures

This probably won't help  but it is worth a shot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQVl8z1DK5I

dplusr
Dabbler

Re: Sony smart TV connection failures

Sadly no. It only shows what happens if everything works first time Sad

The menus are different on our newer TV (that's four years old), but the principle is the same, and it doesn't work.