cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony VGN-NR32m/S laptop

chrisco
Grafter

Sony VGN-NR32m/S laptop

Hi All, can anyone help please, my daughter has just purchased this & wondered if she needs a network card to connect to (what will be tomorrow if I have time!) our wireless network. The connectivity specs are:
Built-in Modem V92/V.90
Integrated Wireless LAN YES
Wireless LAN Max. Date Rate (Mbps) 54
Wireless LAN Range (m) max. 100
Wireless LAN Type 802.11b/g
Ethernet network 100 BASE-TX/10 BASE-T
I have run the Belkin wizard & it's telling us we need a wireless notebook card but we thought that as it is wifi enabled off we could go. Undecided Any advice would be much appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: Sony VGN-NR32m/S laptop

Chrisco,
It says it has a built in WLAN support - no need to get any extra cards.
Most laptops these days come with wireless and Ethernet built in.
Hope this helps
Roger,

chrisco
Grafter

Thanks for that Roger, I thought that was the case just wanted to have my thoughts confirmed.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Not a problem Smiley
They say two heads are better than one sometimes!
chrisco
Grafter

Or 1 1/2 in this case (the half being mine!)  Another maybe daft question for you, it does have an Express Card/34 slot, if the machine is ready to go as it is, what situation would you need to have the card? Sorry to sound daft but none of the family have any experience whatsoever of laptops. My daughter is actually taking it to Australia (much to hubby's disgust - he now wants one!) & the family she will be working for as far as she knows has wireless connection which she can cog into when she gets there. I suppose my query is should we buy this card for her to take just in case she needs it?Huh
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

It'll have that slot for PCMIA devices, which adds functionality to the machine, for example 3G network adapters (3G is 3rd Generation mobile technology that allows you to have a data connection at the same speed as broadband modem)
So although that slot is there, there is no actually need to add anything to make the wireless connection work, ( and I don't see what mileage there would be in buying a separate WLAN card to be honest because if you install it with it's software, it's likely to conflict!)
It really is just a case of switch it on, allow windows to find the wireless network, enter any security keys needed (if asked to put them in) and away you go!
Feel free to PM if you're still unsure.
Roger.

chrisco
Grafter

Thanks for your help Roger, it's much appreciated.
samuria
Grafter

You dont say the make and model but be aware some laptops have a button/function key to turn on/off wireless so make sure its on. Many people have wondered why they cant connect only to find they havent pressed the button
chrisco
Grafter

Hi samuria, oh yes I did, see topic title Smiley Yes you can switch wireless on & off but I still have to set up my wireless network so haven't got down to the nitty gritty as to whether this works or not, I just wanted to make sure we didn't need the card before I set it all up.