Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] Two copies of the same email

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

[Solved] Two copies of the same email

How do I set up my email so that I only get one copy of newsletters, advance payment notices, etc., from Plusnet. One is sent to my default mailbox, the other to the postmaster alias, which the help guide says cannot be deleted.
I don't really understand why I need the postmaster alias as well as a default mailbox.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Two copies of the same email

there has been a change recently, on the spam issue which allowed you to delete domains, this stopped one of my PN emails, look at the header and see who it is sent to, there is an envelope to, the normal sent to and BCC to, perhaps you can turn off one of these.
Will try and find the thread and post it
pierre_pierre
Grafter

maranello
Pro

Thanks Pierre, but I 'm not sure this would solve the problem. Both my default mailbox and the postmaster alias have the same domain myusername.plus.com, so if I block this I would get neither message.
Have looked at the headers of the two emails (this mornings' Plusnet newsletter). One is addressed to postmaster, the other to my default address. I suppose I could try to blacklist Plusnet messages on postmaster, but surely there must be a less drastic approach.
paulby
Grafter

If you go here(you'll need to login) and change your contact e-mail to be your postmaster@xxxx.yyyy address, you'll then only get one copy of everything.
maranello
Pro

Thanks Paul03,
Have made the change as suggested, but made no changes in manage my mail, so that mailbox@myusername.plus.com stays as the default with postmaster as its alias.
Yet another example of clear and helpful advice provided by contributors to these forums. I would expect that there are others out there also receiving two copies of newsletters, etc., from Plusnet as the default was set up that way.
paulby
Grafter

You won't have to make any changes in "Manage my Mail" - just leave postmaster as an alias.
I think it's set up by PN that way as there's still a line in their T's and C's under the Webspace Acceptable Use Policy that says you must accept mail to your postmaster address (Clause 7.2.3 on this page).