Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] Multiple email addresses in Outlook Express

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

[Solved] Multiple email addresses in Outlook Express

I have set up a new account for my Plusnet email address in OE (following the helpful setup guide - many thanks!)
Initially, I was surprised when the first time I opened up OE after making the change, all my emails were dowloaded to my Inbox from both my new Plusnet address and my existing address from my PAYG ISP. Thinking about how OE works, this is no longer surprising, however, this prompts two questions
1. How do I know from viewing the messages which of my addresses the sender used?
2. How do I control what 'From' address will be used when I send messages?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Multiple email addresses in Outlook Express

1) see the to address in the email
2) Set whatever account you want as the default under tools -> accounts and that will be the default From Address. You can select the other one by using the drop-down list on the From line.
You can also create 2 folders within your inbox and set-up a rule to move received email to the relevant folder using the to address.
paulby
Grafter

1. If you right click in the headings at the top of your list of e-mails (i.e. the columns headed From, Subject etc.) and then click on Columns....
In the box that follows add the column for "Account".  This will show you to which account the mail was sent.
2. When you create a new email there will be a down arrow next to the "From" address.  Pick the address you want from there.
Remember to change the outgoing server in your PAYG ISP's set up to relay.plus.net by editing the account from Tools>Accounts>Properties otherwise you may not be able to send from that account.
maranello
Pro

Thanks Peter, and Paul,
I guess I should have tried to send a message before asking the question, when I only had the one address the From option did not appear. And as I am lazy and use the preview pane most times rather than opening messages I haven't checked the message headers before.  Embarrassed
I'm not sure I understand Paul's advice about changing the outgoing server for my PAYG ISP to relay.plus.net - will this work for an account from another provider?
paulby
Grafter

I'm not sure I understand Paul's advice about changing the outgoing server for my PAYG ISP to relay.plus.net - will this work for an account from another provider?

Yes, in fact it's the only way you'll be able to send from that account if you're connected to PlusNet.
Go to Tools>Accounts and highlight the account in question then hit "Properties" and go to the "Servers" tab and change whatever is in the "Outgoing Mail (SMTP)" box to relay.plus.net
You have to do this as you'll not be able to connect to the outgoing server of your previous ISP (this is blocked as an anti-spam measure and is standard practice across all ISPs).  You will, as you have found, still be able to collect mail from the POP3 or IMAP servers.
maranello
Pro

Another problem with my Outlook express setup has become apparent.
I have created a new mailbox in Manage My Mail, and a new OE mail account to access it. But for some reason messages addressed to my default address are downloaded to this mailbox account.
The OE was set up for a different XP login account. Sending mail from OE uses the new mailbox address correctly. Viewing messages in Webmail also appears to direct messages to the correct mailboxes, so I guess the problem is with the OE setup
Anyone any ideas what I might have done wrong?
Update 1/2/2008
The OE setup for the mailbox was incorrect - I used the username and password for the account name, when I changed this to username+mailboxname with the mailboxname password, this seems to have corrected the problem. Tested this out by sending message from mailboxname to default mailbox, and it didn't come back straight away.
I then checked the setup guides, and found that if I looked at the mailbox guide, somewhere near the bottom, this part of setup is described. It would have helped if the email setup guide mentined that mailboxes are treated slightly differently to the default and pointed to the relevant page, but I suppose that since I found it eventually and no-one else on the forum has posted similar problems then its probably just my understanding that needs improving.