Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution to faulty TV tuner?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Solution to faulty TV tuner?

My Samsung TV, about 7 years old, has developed a problem that looks like poor (digital) reception.  But the signal strength is good.  If I use the tuner in my old digibox there are no similar problems but I get ghosting on the picture which appears to be other channels.  So if I assume that the TV tuner has become faulty (and the digibox is too old), what is the best solution?  In principle I can replace the tuner card in the TV.  Or I could get a modern equivalent of my old digibox; perhaps with video-recording or streaming capabilities.  Recommendations anyone?  I don't have satellite and the TV has no WiFi.  

5 REPLIES 5
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Re: Solution to faulty TV tuner?

If the TV has a USB, take a look at a FireTV or Firestick.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReedRichards - I have two of these and although they're not the fastest when it come to start up they certainly serve the purpose and more. With internet access these will allow you to view last week's programming where supported, you can record 4 channels while watching a 5th (the current description is wrong on the site, but is mentioned in the manual). It even allows you to configure it as a media server allowing you to watch recorded programs from the comfort of your tablet, phone or PC.

Also, if you're inclined you can have it do remote recording using a phone App and the Internet allowing you to start a recording when you're out of the house!

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Perhaps there's a new local source of interference.

https://at800.tv may be of help.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

@harrym1byt, the Fire TV and Fire TV sticks don't need a USB on the TV, it comes with its own micro USB power supply, it just needs a Free HDMI port.  Amazon recommend you don't use the USB port on the TV for power as some TVs can't supply enought current via the USB,

I have a Fire TV stick and its an excellent little device and gets used all the time.

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I got the mother in law one of these some time ago, and it's never had any issues
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-DTR-T2000-500GB-YouView-Receiver/dp/B00LHZK2QY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8...
Also worth looking into @Browni suggestion. It's probably not feasible to replace the tuner in the set, even if you could get hold of one, the cost is likely to be too much....