Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software updates

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Software updates

Excluding computers or other computer hardware is it a good idea to upgrade software on things  like cameras and similar devices if they are working ok.
A friend of mine has an expensive  amplifier system as he is a semi professional musician and decided to install the latest updates which ended up rendering the system unusable and it had to be sent away for repair this made me wonder if it is best to leave well alone if things are working ok.
The only exception might be sat nav updates as these would be essential if you did a lot of driving.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
15 REPLIES 15
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Software updates

I keep the firmware on various pieces of kit up to date like my AV Receiver and my weather station.
My camera has firmware but the manufacturer isn't interested in supporting it any more Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I always take the view if it's working well without any problems never update.
Sometimes updates add problems rather than removing them.
Often updates are no more than some obscure irrelevant thing like an extra language option.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I work on the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' approach. If there is some function in the old firmware that's broke ( and you use it ) then update OR if there's a new feature in the new firmware ( that you would use ) then update. Then, unless perhaps the new firmware addresses some security issue, I tend to leave well alone.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nanotm
Pro

the only time I've updated something that wasn't an operating system based device one was recently on one of the TV's in the house to grant it the ability to use the usb slot on devices larger than 4gb....  now it accepts drives up to 2TB in size meaning it can now accept PVR drives direct ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
PowerLee
Pro

We are encouraged to update the forklift firmware packages to the latest available one at work, new firmware package normally brings new features & bug fixes.
Very rarely we may get a mandatory update pushed out that we MUST carry out & report back as they will be tied to individual machine serial numbers.
We are also encouraged to report back any firmware bugs we spot including sending back a download report from the truck.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How can a forklift have new features?
It's just a gadget with forks that go up and down...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Grin Grin Thanks Jeremy  Grin Grin
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
PowerLee
Pro

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
How can a forklift have new features?
It's just a gadget with forks that go up and down...

There's a lot of complex digital electronics in a modern indoor warehouse forklift.
Twin CAN BUS networks, fly by wire steering, brakes & throttle, all the control units talking to each other with constant monitoring & back up monitoring of all the electronic safety control system's for a start
New feature's / functions can be added in to the firmware package & squirted in to the truck.
Some new added features / functions can be activated to assist the customer / operator using the forklifts, other new features can be added in to the hidden service menu to make a spanner monkeys job looking after the machine like mine easier when it comes in to the workshop Wink

billnotben
Community Veteran

So I guess gone are the days when all the apprentices pushed the electric forklift to the battery charger.
Or you just chucked a new calor bottle on the back.
PowerLee
Pro

Some customers are starting to ditch gas & diesel counter balances & go all electric, others have refillable gas bottles from a on site gas storage tank.
Non customer refillable gas bottles are ok but more & more customers are going away from them where they can & go for a storage tank with refillable bottles on the truck.
Electric counter balance is either manual release the parking brake with service bolts OR make sure its switched OFF & release the hand brake lever depending on truck, AC machine will resist towing if its switched on even if the direction switch is in neutral.
As for pushing electric forklifts to the battery changer, if you set the truck up correctly the large reduction in truck performance when the low battery warning appears on the displays means the operator will change the battery & you should only ever have to tow one in due to a total battery failure ( which is rare )
Electric indoor ones I deal with have failsafe electric brakes, emergency release switch if there's power to truck OR manually release it with bolts.
Newer designs also have limp home mode built in which the customer / operator can activate & move a faulty truck out the way ( as long as its not a safety sensor fault as these are still monitored )
Service technician has advanced limp home mode by connecting the service key to truck which bypasses all safety sensors apart from the E stop - also handy during service / repair work.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Pretty much every fork-lift truck I've ever encountered has had simple elecrto-hydraulic controls, the only 'software/firmware' being in the operator's head.  Things have clearly moved on (at least for companies able to afford fancy new equipment).
Quite a few devices automatically update if they can establish a suitable connection (TVs, Set-top boxes, mobile phones), many have firmware that has no means of updating (many cameras, some printers), I'd guess most cars nowadays could be updated but, presumably, only be a main dealer.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

in a lot of modern forklift trucks the operator is just a lump to sit on the machine and be blamed for an accident, the machine can do the job all on its own /
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I wouldn't want to be responsible for updating the firmware on this lot:
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

most of that stuff is just advanced ladder logic circuits, once the basic line up is fixed you don't upgrade the firmware on it you just re install the correct logic load when it corrupts or decays /