cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software update

Wimpywoo
Grafter

Software update

Hi , just a question really , with a phone or computer it needs software updates , does the routers open source software get updated? Also when you need to use windows software with Linux you need software called wine to make it compatible, so how is windows computers compatible with the routers software? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Software update

Some vendors do provide updates to their software so you're best to check your model on the Vendors site, as for PN provided hardware I do not know. The Windows compatibility you are referring to is not related to Windows or Linux but the protocols they support. i.e. HTTP, SSL, TCP/IP etc.

Wimpywoo
Grafter

Thank you for your reply, so is windows computers or phones compatible with open source software without the wine software ? Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought you were going to ask that, but I thought I'd reply to your original question first in case I was wrong. You might want to look at a product called Fusion by vmWare. This will run your software in a virtual windows environment on a Linux machine.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If the program is written for windows then they will run without any additional software. Wine is needed to "translate" from windows to Linux.
Or Virtualbox. (For a virtualised windows)
Wimpywoo
Grafter

Thank you both for your help, I appreciate it very much Smiley