cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, Tor, umm. If I can't download/stream video or use torrents, whats the point?

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

So, Tor, umm. If I can't download/stream video or use torrents, whats the point?

Why would I bother using It unless I wanted to hide myself, or do something illegal ?   
Did i miss something?
5 REPLIES 5
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: So, Tor, umm. If I can't download/stream video or use torrents, whats the point?

https://www.torproject.org/about/torusers.html.en
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
30FTTC06
Pro

Re: So, Tor, umm. If I can't download/stream video or use torrents, whats the point?

"Internet Service Providers (ISPs) sell your Internet browsing records to marketers or anyone else willing to pay for it"
I expect that Plusnet don't sink to such Levels do they ?, I'd be horrified!
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yeah, that's somewhat alarmist!  We don't and I don't know any that do, but I guess its possible!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: 11110_110
Why would I bother using It unless I wanted to hide myself, or do something illegal ?   
Did i miss something?

Yes.
You might object to the interception of your communications.
You might object to the use of "metadata" to deduce your circle of contacts, including
contacts of contacts...
It's the sort of thing the Stasi did in East Germany, albeit in a more primitive way. Angry

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

30FTTC06
Pro

Somebody with a little bit of clout seems to of been having a bit of a dig around.
"SUMMARY:
On July 4 2014 we found a group of relays that we assume were trying to deanonymize users. They appear to have been targeting people who operate or access Tor hidden services. The attack involved modifying Tor protocol headers to do traffic confirmation attacks.
The attacking relays joined the network on January 30 2014, and we removed them from the network on July 4. While we don't know when they started doing the attack, users who operated or accessed hidden services from early February through July 4 should assume they were affected."
https://blog.torproject.org/
Did i not see Russia offering a few quid for somebody to hack Tor, albeit you had to pay a fee to enter! "Hilarious"