Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I got a "new" printer

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

So I got a "new" printer

Well New to me! A Canon IP5000 newer than my previous canon ip4200. Came with full CANON ink and a spare black Cheesy

Plugged it in (under w10) got the bong and (to coin a phrase) Nothing HAPPENED!

Checked the printer control panel. No printer, did a search no printer. Searched on line no driver. PAH!

Rebooted in to Mint, printer found and driver loaded, "do you want to print a test page?" YES. All OK.

So what is wrong with the printer NOTHING, just no M$ drivers available. Strange as it printed to my older IP4200.

9 REPLIES 9
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: So I got a "new" printer

Canon say that the IP5000 is not supported on Windows 8 and 10.  'Not supported' does not mean that it cannot be made to work, just that Canon have washed their hands of it.  If you want it to work with Windows 10, you could do worse than to try the Windows 7 driver.  

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Canon are notorious for not providing Linux drivers.

Consider yourself to be very lucky.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I have had no issues printing to ANY of my Canon printers over the past 10 years on Linux. (Apart from CD printing which I haven't done for many years now).

@rr I did try downloading the w7/8 driver but it gave me a MY PRINTER app, that just tried (and failed) to download the w10 driver. Will try later when I reboot to W10.
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

As said above, running the windows 7 driver might fix the issue.  If it doesnt run first try, try running the driver installer in compatibility mode as well.  I have done this for other devices successfully in the past.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

This was what pushed me OFF M$ nearly 10 years ago.
The shiny new Vista install, scanner no driver, printer no driver, network MIGHT come up on startup, moved to Ubuntu then and everything just worked, and kept working for many years afterwards as well. I only replaced the printer (IP4000) about 4 years ago when the head died and it wasn't economic to replace, got an IP4200 from a mate which I used till yesterday, when I got this one off Freecycle.

I only really use the W10 install to game on, since a lot of games don't work on Linux (yet, slowly changing). But I do on occasion need to scan or print something, and again come up against the M$ driver issues, if I am on M$. I am NOT changing my working kit just to appease M$, I will reboot and 30sec later be scanning or printing.

I see a lot of good kit on Freecycle 'cause they can't get drivers for the new OS. I got a Brother Laser there as well. (That needed a new toner cart only).
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@HairyMcbiker wrote:
This was what pushed me OFF M$ nearly 10 years ago.

To be fair, this is not just Microsoft but a collusion between Microsoft and Canon to build-in obsolescence.  Canon could provide support for Windows 8 & 10 if they wanted to but they didn't.  You could probably get the printer to work using the Windows 7 drivers but it's a faff.  However things are changing as Windows 10 is supposed to keep going until 2025 so anything that can be made to work on Windows 10 should be good until that date - if the hardware keeps going. 

tokey
Aspiring Pro

Reed Richards wrote:

To be fair, this is not just Microsoft but a collusion between Microsoft and Canon to build-in obsolescence.

This rings true to be honest as so far I haven't had any trouble with drivers with Win10, certainly a lot less than previous versions of windows (with Vista being by far the worst...).  This covers quite a broad spectrum of devices of varying ages even including things like monitor drivers and old webcams which are incredibly rare...

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yes they want to sell more (insert product here), by not providing updated drivers.
People just spend more ££'s to get more hardware, when there is usually nothing wrong with it. Proved by plugging it into a Linux pc where it will continue to work (usually).

Printer INK manufactures are the real culprits, when a new printer is CHEAPER than a new set of ink. (I know you don't get full carts any more, another reason I don't buy new printers).

I had a Brother multifunction one, that used to CLEAN the heads every time it was turned on, result it EAT ink. needless to say I don't use it anymore.

I've got a rather large Canon MF870 (off freecycle) that wasn't printing, removed the "head" and cleaned it, works fine now and uses the same ink as the IP4/5000 ones, that I can get for peanuts from ebay. That gets used when I need to copy something quickly.

WRT the IP5000 & W10, the driver was updated when I forced a winupdate, and now I have a working printer in M$ again, but as you say a PITA to get working and needed a reboot and an update.

tokey
Aspiring Pro

At least its working now Hairymcbiker.

I have to say its one of the things Im not keen on about win10, you have far less control over windows updates now even on the Enterprise version.  Which is annoying as often times it can fix irritations such as the one you experienced...