cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV

JamesM
Grafter

Smart TV

Please move if this is in the wrong section.
Hi all,
I bought my Mum a LG42LS575T smart TV last Friday, I hooked it up to the wireless and just had a look at what the apps do and showed my Mum how BBCi player works. I then set it back to TV and left it at that. On Sunday my Mum received an e-mail from Plusnet saying she had gone over her 10 GB limit. Now my Mum normally uses less than 2GB per month but on Friday the useage was 649 MB, Saturday 5 GB and Sunday 4.5 GB.
I am wondering why the TV uses wireless all the time and is using up the internet allowance even though my Mum is only watching TV. I turned the wireless off on the router on Sunday to stop the TV using the internet allowance but it doesn't seem right that everytime my Mum wants to watch say BBCi player that the wireless feature on the router has to be turned on, then turned off again after my Mum has watched her program.
Thanks for reading.
James.
4 REPLIES 4
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Smart TV

Very strange, it should only download content when you ask for it.
You sure she wasn't watching via iplayer rather than live?
JamesM
Grafter

Definately sure HB, my Mum never uses the TV part of the TV as sky is hooked up and my Mum always watches tv through the sky box.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
Is there any way that the app is running in the background at all? Have any other apps been updating since it is a new TV?
JamesM
Grafter

I updated the software on the first day and clicked on a few of the apps but none of them seemed to update. I have checked most things now on the TV like screen share, which I am guessing is something that allows you to watch the TV in another room via wifi on a mobile phone or tablet. This is turned off so I probably will have to wait until the 2nd of december when my Mum's usage gets reset and try and work out what is using the bandwidth.
By the way it is a beautiful TV with the best picture I have seen, its just a bit complicated if you want to use it for anything other than watching TV Tongue